Speed not what I pay for

Yeup, and they don't realize that 10Gbit Ethernet is over 10 years old now either... It seems such things dont make it to the consumer market unless the enterprise sector starts upgrading to the next big thing (what is it now, 40Gbit for cable and 200-400Gbit for fiber?), thus flooding the used markets with gear.

I remember 2006-2008 being the start of 1Gbit LAN for consumers as devices finally started hitting an affordable price point and most motherboards finally had 1Gbit built in.

We will probably see the same with 10Gbit over the next 2-3 years (enthusiast boards have it, and you can get a NIC rather "cheap" now), and in another 15ish years we might start seeing what we see now, it being cheaper to put a 10Gbit NIC into something than something that caps at 1Gbit.

From my understanding, there are standards out for 25 and 40Gbit over Cat8 and allows for the typical RJ45 connection, but the limit is 30m for right now. It might still be primarily fiber and infiniband, but, 25 and 40Gbit speeds are no longer restricted to those methods of connectivity anymore.

Granted, fiber would still be better for that speed, these standards are more for racks close together than something spaced apart in different areas of a company...

https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.3by-2016.html

and

https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.3bq-2016.html

Last edited:
The standards for Base-T are out, but nothing physical and it's been almost 2 years since write up. QSFP+ is the closest we have to anything faster than 10Gb and it goes up to 100Gb but with all thing SFP we have vendor lock in. Which is a TOTAL bitch. Devices like Ubiquiti's 16 XG is dumb as it has multiple SFP+ ports but they don't offer their own SFP+ adapter so you're stuck with buying adapters or special cables which add to the cost. They have 4 RJ ports, and sure it's meant to be a backplane for a consumer or small business rack, but being the cheapest 10Gb device out there currently they should have catered better. This is a minor complication with the cheapest 10Gb setup out there for us lowlies. **** like 25+ is going to be even more difficult unless you read up a lot on Infiniband and SFP standardization. In other words, sit tight as it doesn't exist yet still. We're still largely stuck in limbo as the general consumer space is lumped into the "it's fast enough" bull**** like with ISP speeds.

Yeah, I understand that perfectly well, just saying, the standard it self at least exists, it's convincing manufactures to make the equipment to support it that's going to take time, if they ever do.

Back
Top Bottom