Specific Mobo Inquiry Asus P6t (non deluxe)

Iontheable

In Runtime
So I'm helping out a friend here, hes looking for advice for his mobo choice for his i7.

I've helped build about 5 of my friends new i7's and everyone of them had 1st, 2nd or 3rd tier EVGA boards and they have been wonderful! Very easy to work with yada yada..

Anywho, I found out the hard way that the EVGA boards we were interested in only had 1 true x16 PCI-e slot ( :( ) Very Upsetting!!

So, after much research I came across this board Asus P6T X58 looks like a good board all around, had great reviews for the most part but I'm hung up on thing; the RAM.

Its advertised that it will run DD3 2000/1866 O.C'd but why are they advertising its OC'ability? Does this mean I have to purchase some 1333 and OC it? Or can I just slap a couple sticks of 2000 in there?

Beyond that, if anyone has a mobo suggestion, I'll take it, my only requirements here are: TWO true x16 PCI-e's and if possible one that runs DDR3 2000 (stock?)

Sorry for the dumbassery, this one confused me and I figured I'd consult someone that knows before wasting my friend's monies :)

Its advertised that it will run DD3 2000/1866 O.C'd but why are they advertising its OC'ability? Does this mean I have to purchase some 1333 and OC it? Or can I just slap a couple sticks of 2000 in there?
You will have to increase the bus speed to run the RAM at higher frequencies.

It will run anything lower just fine at stock.

Also, I hate to disappoint you, but you wasted your money on the RAM:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3589

You will have to increase the bus speed to run the RAM at higher frequencies.

It will run anything lower just fine at stock.

Also, I hate to disappoint you, but you wasted your money on the RAM:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3589

WOW!!

Thanks for the heads up Worship, you're mah fav! And you certainly didn't disappoint as I didn't purchase the RAM yet (as we hadn't quite decided on the mobo) Great article though, whats better is I sat in on a discussion today glorifying DDR3 2000 haha

Oh boy, can't wait to show the guys this article. Now on to more important things, any i7 mobo's you've seen around that are just a cut above the rest? I'm really trying to get my pal the best build he can for his budget. As far as the mobo goes I'd like to be in the $250 range tops.

Thanks a Ton Bro!!

Back
Top Bottom