SPDIF question

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
My motherboard has an SPDIF, and so does my HDTV. I was wondering that if I get an toslink cable, can I connect the SPDIF between my HDTV (output) and motherboard (input), and be able to get the sound off of my desktop speakers?

What I plan to do is that right now, I have an generic surround sound setup with 3 speakers (1 for center/subwoofer, 1 for front, and 1 for rear) connected to my motherboard through each specific slots (front connected to front port, rear connected to rear port, etc.). I want to connect my HDTV to the same exact speakers, and the output will be from my desktop speakers. Not sure if you guys get that.

This is cheaper than buying an home theater system, and something I want to try out.

I might be massively wrong here... but I imagine that the SPDIF jack on your motherboard is ONLY output, and that it can't receive an input. If that's the case, then I don't think it will be possible.

I might be massively wrong here... but I imagine that the SPDIF jack on your motherboard is ONLY output, and that it can't receive an input. If that's the case, then I don't think it will be possible.
If there's only one SPDIF socket then this is correct, it will be an output not an input.

Even if it was an input then bear in mind you're going to have some latency before it's processed by the PC and is sent to the speakers - this may be an issue depending on how much is there (it's pretty much impossible to say how much without trying.)

Yeah, after some research, it seems like the SPDIF on my motherboard is an output. Oh well.

I pretty much planned on going from my PS3 (blu-ray movies and games) to my motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom