Sound wont work in windows???

karling07

Daemon Poster
Heres a new one... My sound worked fine with Linux and then i got XP and installed it and ive got no sound. Funny, its usually the other way around.

Anyways, the sound is just regular onboard sound and the error i get with WMP is

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

when trying to play a song.

And the other thing that tells me that SOMETHING works with the sound, is that every time it gives me a popup error message in windows, a loud BEEP comes from my SPEAKERS, not the internal speaker, that scares the crap out of me. So somehow it knows to make the beep, but not the songs....

also, when i go into the sounds, speech, and audio devices in the control panel, it opens the "Sounds and Audio devices Properties" thing like normal under the volume tab but it says No Audio Device...

Thanks!

make sure to install your current sound device..and / or repair it. (like uninstall and installing it again) chances are is that there were complications between you installing windows ect.. also try to upgrade sound device and make sure it is properly colaborated. meaning nothing is on mute and everything is at the right level. ....try that and give some feed back hope i helped.
~Aaron~

Well, thats one of the problems. I dont really know what drivers i need for my sound device because i dont know what the device is or if the pc even recognizes it...

Also, in the devices area, it says i have a MIDI sound device or something... And i tried downloading a MIDI file and playing it in WMP and unlike the MP3s, the playbar moved as if it were playing the MIDI, but no sound came out...

Thanks!

EDIT: problem solved. I needed to Audio Controllers installed in the ADD HARDWARE thing...

Thanks for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom