Sound stopped working - please help!

Zhaitan

Beta member
Hi! So, recently, I was removing programs that I didn't think I needed to help with my computer performance. I guess, I accidently removed my entire audio device thing! When I go to sounds and audio devices, everything is greyed out.

So, after some research, I went to me device manager (start -> control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager) and found that there is a yellow exclamation by "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" under Other devices. From what I can tell, this appears to be/linked to the problem. Upon trying to update the driver, I get an error message saying: "The installation was not installed because wizard cannot find the necessary software...Click back if you have an installation media such as CD-ROM, or if you know the location of the software."

Now, I am not a real big computer person. If anybody has any ideas as to helping me, I would appreciate it greatly. Please, if possible, make the steps simple and easy to understand.

Now, since every computer is different, here are some things about my computer I found under My Computer -> properties. I hope these can help in some way:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU
E 5200 @ 2.50GHz
2.50GHz, 2.00GB of RAM
Physical Adress Extension

Thanks again to anyone with any kind of constructive information they can send me! If I need to add more information, I will if somebody can tell me where to find it! I want to solve this problem so badly! Life without sound sucks!

EDIT: I also tried doing a system restore from prior to making changes to my computer, but after doing so, my computer said no changed were made which confused me.

Last edited:
if your computer is pre-built by big brands such as HP or Dell. go to their support website with your computer's model # and download audio drivers from there.

or use a program called speccy to find out your computer's motherboard model and go download the audio drivers from the manufacture's support website.

Back
Top Bottom