Sound related Q from a non-tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

techengenue

Beta member
Hey there. I'm so non-technical oriented that I am not even sure how to describe the problem that I am suffering lately. I recently had my hard drive reformatted, and installed XP. After the installation was complete, I went about my merry way and started Windows Media player to play audio as usual. Music skipped, stuttered and made static noises almost as if it was being buffered. Sometimes it speeds up. Some music is downloaded mp3s, some are copied from cds, both have these distortion issues. I downloaded a newer version of Windows MediaPlayer and got same results. Also tried RealOne, thinking that perhaps it was just a compatibility issue with XP. Now the sound upon windows intro and exit is distorted, usually sped up beyond rcognition or staticline.

Is it a driver issue? A compatibility issue? Please take pity on me and use your knowledge for good and help out a girl in need...

:sigh:

Engenue

Sounds like it may be a driver issue. I would say download the newest drivers for you sound card.

thanks but...

Where would you recommend that I find a driver that will help me? I've downloaded and installed recommended updates from the Windows Update page, but it hasn't helped. I don't think they were even sound drivers that I updated...

Told you, I'm a neophyte in this. I'm lucky I know what a driver is... just don't ask me to define it. :eek:

Engenue

First you'll need to know what type of sound card you have. To find this out, right-click on "My Computer" and click on Properties, then go to the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Manager". A window will open up - find the icon that says "Sound, video and game controllers" beside it and click the plus-sign next to it. It will expand a list of installed devices - if you're not sure which one is your sound card, just post the whole list.

got it...

I already went through the troubleshooting process as described in the device manager, that's how I got to the windows update page, but as I said in previous post, the updates did nothing to help me out.

The only audio driver listed in my properties is Legacy Audio Driver. It says it is working properly, but when I click on the properties tab for the Legacy Driver, nothing happens, just a blank window.

Thanks for your help, feel free to take it to a PM if you prefer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom