Sound Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

krislynch

Beta member
Hello:

I have a 17" Viewsonic monitor. I'm running Windows 2000 and Altec Lansing speakers (small desktop speakers and a bass speaker under my desk).

Here's the problem...

When I move my mouse or load a page in my browser - basically any movement on my monitor, I hear a humming sound. It appears that I even get some humming when the PC is on but I'm not doing anything, but the sound is more pronounced when I am doing anything.

I'm not sure how to get rid of this sound. If I turn off my monitor, I can still hear it, so I'm not certain where the problem is exactly. My monitor is about 4-5 years old, but is in perfect shape.

I have a few peripherals on my desk - a USB hub, Microsoft keyboard, USB mouse, USB Palm cradle, desktop speakers.

Any idea what could be causing this humming? Suggestions on how I can get rid of it without losing any of my peripherals?

Thanks in advance...

Just out of curiosity, what motherboard and video card are you using? I had a very similar problem with my ECS K7S5A and Voodoo3 PCI. The cause had something to do with PCI latency, and buying an AGP video card fixed it completely.

Hello:

Well, I equate the two because it is much more pronounced when I use the mouse or when anything significant changes on my screen (browser page, etc.).

I have several years of experience working with hardware problems, so I'm not exactly a newbie - that's why I was smart enough to ask you guys :)

This is what I have:

motherboard - Tazer II - Tyan S1854 Via 133A 4X with Integrated Components (Millennia® Max GS)

video card - VisionTek GeForce Ti-4600 128MB DDR VGA/DVI-I/S-Video (using nVidia video drivers)

OS - Windows 2000 Pro w/ latest SPs

What else might you need to know about my system?

I checked the connections early on when I noticed this problem and that didn't fix anything - although my hub and speakers are pretty close to my monitor. I'm not sure I have anywhere else to put them, but I'll try moving them to at least rule signal interference out of the equation.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom