Sound Drivers messing up? (I'm pretty sure its the RAM now)

Kage

Golden Master
Hmm... still issues with my new build...

RAM not accepting an overclock of 816mhz is still an issue, as it means I won't be able to overclock at all. Or at least, it seems that way.

Something more troubling though. The past two times I've played FEAR, after about 1-2 hours, the computer bluescreens on me with a IRQ Not Equal error, and resets.

Temps aren't an issue, with the CPU getting to 37 degrees C, and the video card to around 65-70 degrees C.

I think its the sound drivers, as some of you warned me about, though I'm running XP... (Creative X-FI...)

I'll try to update to the latest versions, but its really putting me off wanting to play.

It wouldn't be so bad, but when it crashed the last time, it had to re-build the RAID 1 array which takes a good 2 hours. Luckily this time, it didn't.

Re: Sound Drivers messing up?

It would help more if you gave us the full STOP error mate.

It's probably the RAM. Geil is an off brand. You shouldn't expect any great overclocking with that.

I doubt sound card drivers would cause the crash when overclocking...do some real benchmarks, Prime95. Games don't really do it justice, not going to use the full quad core.

I haven't started overclocking yet :p
This is unstable without one, haha.

After updating drivers, things seem to be okay in terms of FEAR. Thats the only game I've tried on this system.

GeIl is a pretty good brand, and well respected, apparently.

It probally has something to do with your ram crash wise. Creative's drivers are fine in XP they just certain driver version suck in Vista.

Ya run 4 instances of prime95 or 2 instances of orthos to stress your overclocking to the max and make sure everythings really stable.

Edit: You posted while I was typing. Which version drivers are you using. I use the ones that came with my X-Fi for XP and have never had a problem. Although I don't have the full game just the demo that came with the card.

Eh, I wouldn't count on it for overclocking, my personal opinion.

Alright, I thought you meant that you were OCed and you were getting BSODs. Probably the sound drivers in that case.

Hmm... playing FEAR it went down again.
This time, it took the RAID with it, so its now verifying the data, which can take like 2 hours :(

I'm thinking its maybe the RAM again now. I had to switch off though. Enter wouldn't restart, and neither would the reset button.

The sound continued looping a command of one of the A.I's every few seconds, and an environmental sound carried on.

It only happens after around 30mins to an hour though which confuses me. Its never straight away or after a few minutes.

This is the error report taken with my phone:

DSC00511.jpg

Hope someone can help :( I'm sure it won't be specific to just that game.

Does make me wonder though why the damn RAID notices a veritification error when this happens and has to restart the entire process of syncing.

EDIT:

I ran CPU-Z and my timings are nothing like they are meant to be. 4-4-4-12 my RAM supports, yet its running at 5-5-5-18...
I went into the BIOS a few days ago to set it to 4-4-4-12 and the computer wouldn't boot.
Mmm...

cpu-zmemoryreport.jpg

I don't know what to make of that, and this:

cpu-zmemoryreport2.jpg

Run Memtest before anything:
http://www.memtest.org/
Run it for a couple hours at least, maybe overnight.

That'll tell you if it's the memory or not. If you don't get any errors, remove the sound card and uninstall the drivers. If it doesn't happen then, you know that's it.

Is there any way of setting my RAM at the right speed? Things don't seem good so far, haha...

Well I'd leave it at whatever it sets to at default, and let Memtest run. If it won't even boot up with the advertised timings, I'm guessing you got some bad sticks. If so, you'll just have to RMA them, happened to me with one of my sticks.

Back
Top Bottom