Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Xomphos

Baseband Member
Hi,

I recently built a new computer with these specs:
-Windows XP 32-Bit
-AMD Anthlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Processor
-2x 1GB (total 2GB) A-Data DDR2 667MHz RAM (dual-channel)
-80GB IDE 7,200 RPM HDD (Primary-recycled from old machine although potentially upgrading to a larger, SATA drive soon)
-30GB IDE 5,400 RPM HDD (secondary-primarily backup)
Note that both these drives are running off a RAID card (not using RAID though) because my motherboard only has one IDE connector
-MSI Motherboard (cost around $70-$100 I remember)-has integrated Realtek HD sound)
-Nvidia GeForce 7200 GS Video Card
In my old computer, I got a $30 Sound Blaster Live! card for it around a year ago because it was using integrated sound and it was an older computer. My question is though, would it be worth putting it into my new computer and use it instead of the integrated Realtek HD Audio sound that's included? I understand that sound use to tax processors, but now with my current one, I am wondering if taking the sound load off will do any good and/or if it's worth the upgrade. The sound card supports EAX and I have 2.1 channel sound, but can I use EAX only with Sound Blaster cards or can I use it with the integrated audio I have currently?

Thanks!

Might as well use the sound card.

Sound cards are only really necessary when you have high quality speakers and need something better than onboard sound, but if you have it, might as well use it.

Well it says "Realtek HD" onboard sound... so having HD sounds is enough for me...
Most motherboards have great onboard sound... the only reason u would need a sound card is either ur a Music Producer/Creator or just have a super nice set of speakers...

Well it says "Realtek HD" onboard sound... so having HD sounds is enough for me...
Most motherboards have great onboard sound... the only reason u would need a sound card is either ur a Music Producer/Creator or just have a super nice set of speakers...
Lol, completely false. Realtek onboard sound is crap. The HD is a scam, that's like getting a filet mignon at McDonalds.

If you paid any more than $50 for your speakers, you NEED a sound card to get the best quality out of them.

Lol, completely false. Realtek onboard sound is crap. The HD is a scam, that's like getting a filet mignon at McDonalds.

If you paid any more than $50 for your speakers, you NEED a sound card to get the best quality out of them.
Absolutely.....

I used onboard sound with my old motherboard for a while and I had a crappy set of speakers and I totally noticed the bad sound. So I bought a sound blaster live card, just like you have probably, and I am using it to this day with my Z-2300's and it sounds awesome. Realtek audio completely sucks....install the soundcard, you'll be glad you did.

Exactly...I have the Logitech Z-5500s, a $300 speaker setup. Anyone who uses onboard sound with these is really missing out.

I agree that a sound card is defitenly a must if you have even a decent set of speakers. I can really notice a diffrence in my speakers between onboard and the card.
One thing to keep in mind though is that all sound cards are not created equal. A little while ago when I built my computer I put in a
Turtle Beach TBS-3300-01 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz at $60 I thought it would be pretty good. Its great for games and well thats about it.

Even with this card my speakers are still not preforming to their maximum. I have to use my Xbox media center to get the best sound out of them. I plan on upgrading soon to a premium grade sound card.

btw if u were wondering speakers are Onkyo SKS-HT240

this is a good topic, i've been unable to decide on getting one or not. generall i just use headfones but i'm gonna have to hook up speakers so i can play guitar hero on my comp and just can't decide if i wanna go with a soundcard or stick with the mobo sound

Back
Top Bottom