Sony SAW Speakers & Amp

Ok, but could they still be too much for the amp to handle, if it's not the ohms, maybe too many watts?

Like I said earlier, those are peak ratings, not RMS. They mean absolutely nothing during normal operation. You could be straining that receiver if it wasn't made to handle a 4 ohm load. There are other factors that have a play in this, such as sensitivity.

I know they may not be RMS, but I was just wondering if whatever they are is too much for the amp. I have the same problem if I only plug 2 of the speakers into it. I managed to find this spec for it, someone was selling the same amp and had listed these specs:

Rated at 70 + 70 Watts per channel rms @ 8ohms
110 + 110 Watts per channel rms @ 6 ohms
A and B speaker outputs (A or B: 6-16ohms, A and B: 12 - 16 ohms)
T.H.D; 0.015%
Inputs; Aux 1/ Aux 2/ Tuner/ Tape 1/ Tape 2/ CD/ Phono
Functions: Monitor/copy, Bass, Treble, source selector, loudness, phono (MC/MM), balance, volume
Weight; 7.4 kgs
Dimensions; 434mm x 343 x 140

70W per channel is awful isn't it?

yeah, 4 ohms per speaker

No no, you don't add up ohms. If each speaker is 8 ohms, and you have two speakers that are 8 ohms on the same channel, it's 4 ohms load now. Ohm's is electrical resistance, as you increase the amount of possible signal path, you decrease the resistance against electricity. The lower the ohms, the closer you are to having a short circut (short circut would be hooking up a wire to the + and - on the "amp").

And bigger doesn't mean better, I have had speakers that are 4x the size of some of my other speakers, but half as loud. Your speakers may look large, but only have 7" woofers or so. I'm going to throw up a link, this is to a speaker designed to be used in a speaker array for concerts, it's 300W RMS. http://yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=5&id=66 It's by far louder (ever been to a concert?)

Also, logitech speaker ratings are done wrong, that's all. Also, power levels DO NOT equal how loud something is at all, decibels is how you measure how loud something is, and you won't find this rating on consumer products like sony hi-fi speakers, because the ratings are weak, and it's easier to just put some hugely inflated power handling number. Another important thing about speakers is the sensitivy (dbW) which is the efficency of the speaker. Also never listed for consumer stuff, since they tend to make the efficency as low as possible so they can use more power (watts).

Also, those speakers are in no way high end. SAW series are a bottom of the barrel consumer product designed for looks over functionality. Also, high quality stuff will be made out of 3/4" MDF or Birch plywood, much of a speaker is in the wood you use. You occasionally find plastic in systems designed for portability however, which is a great sacrafice to sound quality, but a huge reduction in weight.

They are not "bottom of the barrel" speakers, they are Sony's LBT Series which is Sony's top line of speakers, although they have made newer versions of these. I understand that there may well be better speakers on the market, but I'm not trying to get the best speakers possible. These are very powerful and are able shake all the cups and dishes in the kitchen cupboards which is a few rooms away :p They are also not made of plastic, they are fairly think plywood (or mdf, i'm unsure). I just wanted to know if the amp is underpowered for these speakers as I can't get past volume 8/40 on the amp. Plus I only mentioned size because you said they were too small to handle 700W (and I now agree that they are not 700W). Also I have been to concerts and I have seen that type of speaker around often (fairs, parties, demos in shops & uncle is a DJ in his spare time and has some similar ones), I agree that they are much louder but they often lack bass.

Ok.

Each speaker is rated at 4 ohms. Usually when you have an 'Stereo' amplifier that has 2 pairs of speaker outputs (A & B) and you use both pairs they will be wired internally in parallel.

ohms.jpg

That means your actually loading each channel of the amplifier with a 2 ohm load! And your amplifier isn't liking this load. Your amp just cannot supply the current needed by the speakers.

The only option is obtain a pre/power amplifier set up for your rig.

I managed to find the original amp for the bigger speakers. I'm going to buy it and use the 2 sets separately. But there is one problem, I have this smaller set I purcahed a week ago today from comet, it cost me £170 and I'm not at all happy with it. I don;t have the box, and I think the restock fee charge only applies if you have the box, any idea what I could do?

I managed to find the original amp for the bigger speakers. I'm going to buy it and use the 2 sets separately. But there is one problem, I have this smaller set I purcahed a week ago today from comet, it cost me £170 and I'm not at all happy with it. I don;t have the box, and I think the restock fee charge only applies if you have the box, any idea what I could do?

More Research?

I managed to find the original amp for the bigger speakers.

Its an all in one sound system consisting of a 5 disc CD changer, twin tape deck, multi channel amplifier, tuner and an optional turntable. Where the hell did you find it? Sony stopped making it years ago.

I'm going to buy it and use the 2 sets separately. But there is one problem, I have this smaller set I purcahed a week ago today from comet, it cost me £170 and I'm not at all happy with it. I don;t have the box, and I think the restock fee charge only applies if you have the box, any idea what I could do?

The sound system has a pro logic amp built in. As far as I can remember the system had the 2 big speakers at the front - with the sub channel driving the subs in the front speakers - and 3 small speakers for the center and rears. Those small speakers might come in handy.

In fact. Something like the NAD Surround Sound Receiver AV-716 , MARANTZ SR-73 SURROUND SOUND AMPLIFIER or the SONY STR-DB798 would make a good starter for you.

Back
Top Bottom