Somewhat embarrassing problem...

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Eek!

Brought my desktop computer to school, installed drivers for a Netgear WG311T wireless PCI adapter.

Shut down the computer, installed the adapter, and closed the computer up again. At this point, it was standing upright...

Until I somehow managed to knock the computer off its feet while standing up from underneath my desk. The case basically slipped and fell down onto its side.

Nothing really happened except a few bent pins on my monitor adapter, but now that the computer is up and running, I got a message saying "OVERCLOCK FAILED" and that if I'd like to continue or load default values.

I loaded the default values and it seemed to be okay. However, the computer has frozen at the home screen twice already (before I've even gotten a chance to run anything), has failed to start up a couple of times at all (black screen) and froze TWICE already at the windows loading logo.

Questions:

1. Do you guys think this might just be the extra PCI card straining my PSU? It's only 450 watts. I've also added two hard drives to this rig in my sig.

2. Do you think this might be related to the drop the computer experienced? Note: It was OFF and unplugged.

I'm gonna try to run the comp without the PCI card and see what happens.

Love having problems right before an essay is due,

Chris

After it fell over, did you open it up to make sure nothing was knocked loose? Check to make sure all connections, memory, even the CPU are seated properly. Look to see if the clear CMOS jumper is still in place if it was equipped with one.

After it fell over, did you open it up to make sure nothing was knocked loose? Check to make sure all connections, memory, even the CPU are seated properly. Look to see if the clear CMOS jumper is still in place if it was equipped with one.

Yep, did all of that.

I ended up taking out the network card and the computer is back to normal again. Awkward...

I think I'll just purchase a new one from my bookstore tomorrow.

Check your CPU temps, maybe somehow your heatsink got loose and its overheating? Did you pull out and plug back in your RAM? maybe it got loose or something?

Check your HDD connections (from HDD and MOBO) maybe they got loose.

Checked them all. Temperatures are actually 3-5* cooler than they were before I moved the rig to my place at school.

I believe that it was just a hardware problem with the PCI wireless card. If I remember correctly, I used this card on another computer a while ago and had similar hiccups.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom