sometimes my hdds don't start

mikee

Fully Optimized
Today I just go back to my room after leaving for 2 weeks and went to turn on my computer and it just hung part way through post and I didn't hear and hdds come on. After opening the case and using compressed air and checking connections I tried booting up again and it worked. However this does seem like a problem to me since most of the time when I power on the computer it sits at the spot where it hung today for noticeably longer then I hear a hdd click on (not the click of death) but just turning on. Could there be a problem here? Is there any other way to check for sure? I ran hd tune and no errors showed up on the drive and the S.M.A.R.T status reads ok on both drives.

my mobo is a intel D946GZIS Also I just noticed something else that could be an issue. the hard drive could be shutting off due to a faulty psu. a few days ago my psu started making a high pitch buzz its quiet but you can still hear it. Atleast I think its the psu making the noise

Try setting the hard disk pre-delay to 3 seconds in the BIOS under Configuration | SATA Drives. It may not make any difference but it won't hurt to try.

What make and size power supply are you using?

How powerful is your power supply? That happened to me because my power supply wasn't strong enough to handle the new gcards I put in the computer. If you recently upgraded any hardware power may just be problem.

400 watts
heres what It says on the psu itself
psu.jpg

By mikee286 at 2009-09-15

This problem started actually back in 08 when I got my 1.5tb drive but it wasn't happening all that frequently maybe once every 5-6 months but since the psu started making this noise it has happened twice in the past 24 hours.

oh yeah and I upgraded my 2 sticks of 1gb to 2 of 2gb ram last year but I don't think that had an impact on anything

Back
Top Bottom