Something keeps blowing the fuse....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPink

Beta member
my computer keeps blowing the fuse in the plug that goes into the wall, my friend suggested replacing the power supply which I went and did this afternoon but after 10 minutes on the comp it blew again, so I tried using a different power cable plugged into a different socket, but it keeps happening. I have no idea what's causing it, and I'm running out of electrical appliances to steal fuses from, any help would be appreciated, I'm getting very frustrated :(

Oh I should add that 98% of the time when the fuse blows it's when I'm playing a computer game, not searching the web, or typing etc...

thanks.

the houses power supply is being overloaded by the sounds of it. i think those fuses are rated for something like 10 Amperes per circuit. that really does not take an awful lot to blow, do you have a lot of other electrical appliances plugged in in your house? if you feel like risking another fuse unplug as many high drain things as you can and try again. the biggest problem would be if you are using a powerboard connected to the socket to power your pc and other things.

ok, thanks for the reply, makes sense - my computer is plugged into an extension lead that does also power other things (monitor, speakers and internet modem) so this could well be the problem. I'll unplug everything else in the house and make sure my computer is plugged directly into the wall, rather than the extension, but can I assume that if the fuse still blows then this definitly isn't the cause? or is there a chance even then the problem could still be the houses wiring?

You had better have an electrician look at your house wiring!!! hard to imagine a puter pulling enough amps to do that!!!

Re:

RicoDirenzo said:
You had better have an electrician look at your house wiring!!! hard to imagine a puter pulling enough amps to do that!!!

I second that.

Also, perhaps you should try moving your PC and plugging it up to a different power outlet in your house. Power up the system for a while and see if the fuse survives.

Also, have you been using the same power cable? If so, perhaps you should try using a different power cable. If your monitor uses a three-pin 'kettle lead' then swap it round with the PSU power cable and see if the fuse survives in that lead.

Ok, I unplugged everything else in the house and booted my computer up in aonther room, using a different socket and a different power cable, the internet was fine, but 5 minutes into a game the comp dies, and I have to change the fuse.... again. The only thing I don't understand if it is the wiring of the house is why it's never happened to my housemates computer, and why mine was fine for the first 6 months of living here, but is now happening every time I load a game up.

To avoid that, i always have my computer plugged directly into the wall, with everything else in the power strip.

I agree with checking the wiring, but it also sounds like a ground fault. Not sure if I'd agree with directly in the outlet. Normally, thats a good idea but if you have dirty power or a short in your housing, you're likely to fry the system. If it is a frayed/chewed wire you need to have it checked asap before you get a house fire. You can get a cheap meter and test it (the color coded plugs, shows ground fault, open, short, good). However, if you're plugging it into a strip, try a different one. It may be that the strip is bad. If dirty power (is not constant, but fluctuates usually seen alot in older houses) get a line conditioner. Older systems usually run better on older power because they are not as accurate or as compllicated as newer systems.

You should try what Alvin.C regarding trying a different power cable for the power supply. You said you got a new PSU and unplugged everything in the house so the problem may be outside of it. Like someone else said too, your PSU may be more sensitive then one on an older machine.

You can count on every home having fluctuating power regardless. If you see your lamp dim every so often when a neighbors air-condition down the street turns on there you have it. Your power company canÂ’t give a perfect steady 120v. A lot of these fancy new homes will have voltage regulator + conditioner unit installer on the sub feed before any panels. You can buy a stand alone unit that you can plug in and hook your equipment into. But you are looking for a voltage regulator not a conditioner. A regulator will make sure your line voltage stay at 120v without much if any fluctuation.

An easy way to check your house wiring is to get a line tester from your local home center (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) You say to have to replace a fuse so it sounds like your house wiring is dated, maybe no longer to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom