Someone help please...Need assistance

AmericanSensei

Daemon Poster
I'm trying to format my harddrive and in having problems..I have to do it through prompt because I dont have the windows option of it..XP......

When I type in Format C: it displays this

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process...Format may run if this volume is dismounted first....ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID...Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?.

I type Yes...

Then it says

Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use..

Ok so what does all this mean..How do I do my format.?

Is it something as simple as shutting down a process...? If so which?

AmericanSensei

AmericanSensei said:
I'm trying to format my harddrive and in having problems..I have to do it through prompt because I dont have the windows option of it..XP......

When I type in Format C: it displays this

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process...Format may run if this volume is dismounted first....ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID...Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?.

I type Yes...

Then it says

Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use..

Ok so what does all this mean..How do I do my format.?

Is it something as simple as shutting down a process...? If so which?

AmericanSensei

No it is not as simple as just shutting down a process
You are using that drive to run windows xp and therefor you can not format it
I've never had any problems with my pc so i have never tried to format it but i think that you can format just by right clicking on the c:\ in my computer and then clicking the format... tab

Do you have the microsoft xp installation disc?
If you format the drive you will LOOSE all data on that drive. How were you planning on reinstalling your operating system.

The issue is ..do you have an ORIGINAL microsoft xp installation cd or do you have the manufaturer's installation cd.

Original storebought....

When I go through the CD, I dont see the part where they talk about it listing the drives and partition...It just starts installing. I have the option to upgrade, or new installation..I clicked new. Thier text help says that It should alert you if It detects a previous windows XP installation..I don't get that...

AmericanSensei

Ok, I got to the point where it shows the drive and the partitions, which I made none.....How can something so simple turn out to be so hard...Either that or I'm that illiterate. Thanks for bearing with me guys.

Im confused.

AmericanSensei

Back
Top Bottom