Somebody steer me in the right direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
Responses to this will come from those of you with the most patience. I am a smart guy (college grad, mech. engineer, etc.), with very little computer knowledge. I think the most tech savy computer task I've completed was setting up a wireless network in my home...ooooohhh...following directions!

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new PC...here's my situation. I currently have a 5 year old Compaq Pressario 7600. It's stock except for a Seagate 160GB slave harddrive. I would like to spend $1500 or less.

What I need. Something to game with, but not too hardcore. For example, I'd like to play the new Civilization IV (which my current machine does not even qualify for its minimum requirements). I also want a laptop for basic at-home use (browsing the net, checking email from the comfort of my couch).

There are many ways to go about this. Upgrade current PC for gaming use, and purchase a cheap laptop for browsing...toss the old PC and spend it all on a multi-purpose laptop. So many options, and me with so little knowledge. I'm not necessarily looking for any specific answers here, but suggestions as to where to start would be appreciated.

If I were you... I'd go about using the majority of the money on a gaming desktop. And then look around for a second hand laptop (200 or 300 bucks for a target area).

The main reason why NOT to get a multi-purpose laptop... The only thing upgradable on laptops are the RAM. So they can get outdated pretty quick.

why not go all out n buy a gaming lap top, thats one option. but as in previous post its not very upgradable.

the second option, my pefered option would be a cheapo laptop, as its only for browsing, and then build your own pc, its not hard if you research how to build 1, its just basically plugging a few things in n installing windows. you can get a pretty good gaming pc for $1000 then get a laptop with the remainder of your budget.

I think the most sensible thing to do is concentrate on the pc and just get a dirt cheap laptop, as most people have said, i guess its the most obvious thing to do aswell, and if the pc is a good one then it will last for years before its out dated and not upgradable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom