Some much needed career advice ...

Josie

Beta member
Hello all:)
I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for me as to my next move in IT. I received a cs degree with a math minor in 2004 (also a Hotel and Restaurant Management degree in the same year; I know strange combination, but that's a different story lol!). Anyway, immediately after graduation I moved to Hawaii and opened a business with my ex-husband and did not use my degree except for part time computer repair on the side for fun. Now I'm trying to get back into IT and I need to make a living for myself immediately.
I know I must get current, and my plan is to study web development initially and see where that takes me, but I need a job now! I was thinking about getting an A+ cert for computer tech; seeing as that would be simple for me and I already have experience with it. Although it doesn't pay well, I'm afraid my lack of current experience and expertise will prevent me from getting a foot in the door in a better paying job. Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for any replies. Josie

What's your goal? Development and infrastructure are usually different career paths, so going with one doesn't really help you get into the other. If you want to get into web development then a helpdesk or repair tech job won't help very much with that. The first thing I would do is try to narrow down what specialization you want to go for so you can start planning for it. If you do want to end up in something like systems or networks then something like helpdesk would make more sense.

I understand that you're looking to get a job right away, but if the main concern is money then there's no reason to limit yourself to a tech job unless it's going to further your career.

Well... you could go "DevOps" route, which is both, however a very difficult job to get into unless you been developer and working with Linux already.:cool:

DevOps is a all rounder so bridges thegap between dev and Infra teams, and provides alot of automation and on call support.

Worth a look .

Back
Top Bottom