Some help on what works with what...

gh0st

Baseband Member
Alright so im upgrading my computer and, long story short, my friend sells me a This card for a really good price. So the point is I got my hands on one of these but the problem is I dont think it will work with my current motherboard (ASUS P4S800) because it doesent say that it is has a PCI express x16 slot in it. So I figure I need to upgrade it, but the only other mainboard I could find that supports my current processor (socket 478)/ram (DDR-SDRAM PC3200) ect. is this mainboard, The thing is, my 7800GT isnt on their support list (here).

So my question is, is that support list just like old and hasnt updated for this card yet, or do I have to actually upgrade my mainboard to something different (meaning I would have to also upgrade my RAM, processor and soundcard, right?)? And if so, would it be a wise decision to buy these parts, or should I give it back to him and buy a different, non x16 card for alot more (no big discount from my firend).

Thanks in advance.

edit: oh, and on a side note, if I bought the mainboard I was planning on buying that supported x16 cards, it seems like cards that support socket 478 processors are dying out, would it not be worth it since I might have to buy new everything next time I upgraded, or will people continue to make things that run on this motherboard?)

What is your old video card? Is it really worth the upgrade for a video card that you got for a good deal?

Man, with the reviews, even if Idon't like AsRock...I am going to buy this one!

Back
Top Bottom