Some common spelling mistakes in English...

As to ME and I, for proper usage separate them.

Randy and me are going to the movies for example. Separate them to:

"Randy is (singular for are) going to the movies" is good but "me is going to the movies" is bad.

John is going to the movies with Randy and me:

"John is going to the movies with Randy" is good and "John is going to the movies with me" is good also.

Yes, that's what I meant by "Sometimes, usually when more than one subject/object is used, 'me' could be mistakenly used instead of 'I'." in the original post. I don't remember seeing anyone mistaking them in singular form.

That addition is a good one, BTW. I couldn't have said it better to explain how to test the proper use.

This is how you test it, separate them and if both sound right then you got it right. :)

I am going to the movies.

Randy is going to the movies,

We are going to the movies and Randy is going with me.

Last edited:
One of my pet peeves is when someone doesn't use the correct tense of a word. For instance, many people would say, "We were suppose to go to the store yesterday" when they actually should say, "We were supposed to go to the store yesterday". They use the present tense of the word instead of the past tense as they should. This has nothing to do with shortening things to type quicker, it's simply that they don't know any better.

Yes, not knowing better is what made me start this thread. I don't like to have the thought that people make those mistakes not knowing they were actually mistakes. I do write "tho" instead of "thought" and I know it is wrong, for example.

As for "suppose to" and "supposed to", do they sound he same in spoken American English?

pretty much so SG and may I commend you on your English as your second language.

Very good my friend. :thumb:

Now when are you coming to the USA and become an American? :D

Thanks man :)

If we get too technical (or rhetoric or formal, dunno what categorization/classification works here), I think my English is considered a foreign language, not second. For most Canadians, to name one, it is second. They learn, or rather acquire, English there as a second language. Here I learned it the extra hard way as an extra material. You have no idea how much trouble I had to learn it. Even now I'm seriously behind schedule in speaking. You would find out if we talk one day.

You know, I thought about moving somewhere else, including USA, but we're an extremely heavily family oriented culture here that it is not an easy choice to move. It's not just about direct family members like parents, it is about extended families too. If for example a cousin gets married, it is a crime if I don't attend some parties they hold or could use help with I tell ya (unless it is an urgent case like medical or education cases), and there are at least two I can count. There are several other major reasons too, but that's sooo much to talk about. Talk about complicated :p

Sound like you have a strong family ties. Here they are scattered all over the US, all living their own lives.

I of course did not mean to belittle family ties around the world with what I said. It is just that I think here it is kinda "too" strong (or maybe still tied to the old traditions too much?). Dunno really, it's just a case of its own. I respect how other people have it and wouldn't dare judge.

Back
Top Bottom