Solved a weird problem with Ryzen CPU

Celery

Golden Master
Ever since I got the Ryzen 5 2600 I was having freeze up problems. It seems to do that when I make an action like clicking the mouse to opening a program. I researched this problem and it seemed to be pretty common with many users.

I've read several solutions like resetting the BIOS to updating drivers. None worked and still the same. Back to Googling and I kept reading as much as I can til I ran into this little item that made sense.

CPU voltage!

I remembered reading the voltage as low as 0.599V and thought that was unusually low. Then it made sense that when I did a command and the CPU sprang to action, it crashed because the voltage did not ramp up in time.

Since I don't see in my BIOS on how to set the base CPU voltage I did what I know how, I OCed it. MY CPU is capable of 3.4 to 3.9 Ghz I locked it at 3.8 Ghz and turned the turbo off. That brought the voltage up to 1.2V base.

The temps is in the low 30 C and it's been rock solid since.

Last edited:
I found the part in the BIOS where I can set the voltage for the CPU. It was on Energy Saver and I changed it to Normal. I also got off the OCing and turned the turbo back on.

Since then I had two freezes that just didn't make sense. I came to conclusion that it's because...

It's a frigging AMD!

I've been running AMD for the past 15 years with no problems due to the hardware. Usually freezing has to do with software/OS problems. Have you tried tracking performance to see what/when the problem occurs?

If you mean the event viewer then yeah, it's the core errors. I'm still thinking voltage problems.

Hmm... strike that, seems that's history now. Now it concerns:

Attachments

• Screenshot (1263).jpg
    Screenshot (1263).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom