Soldering Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can see, that's a really bad job. I might do a little bit of soldering soon, and take pictures to show a good example.

yeah, im gonna practice some more today, after i clean up the place, we got a house and are starting to pack up lil by lil.

k, i redid it, and it went better than last time for sure

P1000344.jpg

it still bad. i dont think im getting that heat the wire then put the solder on the wire not the iron down. it doesnt seem to work. what i do is i place the solder directly on top of the wire, then form the top i melt the solder onto the wire. is this good or bad?

well, the heat isn't going to carry too far. You have to follow along closely with the iron. You are still going to be very close to the iron.

If you are going to be joining two wires like that, then forget the solder and just use heatshrink. It is a small tube of material that you place over the joint and take a hairdryer or heat gun and it shrinks onto the connection.

i c, well.....that helps......i guess....thanx for your help. img onna probably go get some today or tomorrow. but for now, im gonna continue practicing soldering. but for the headphone wires i guess then i could use heatshrinks.

what i do is i place the solder directly on top of the wire, then form the top i melt the solder onto the wire. is this good or bad

to me that sounds like the correct method of soldering. i truly could not be bothered reading the 3 pages so heres some hints:

1. always clean the tip of the iron or wires/pins you are joining, try not to handle the area you are going to solder too much.

2. always tin the iron and the contacts you are joining

3. keep a sponge nearby (most irons come with a small stand and sponge). wet the sponge and you can use it to clean the crap off that builds up from melted wires etc. i continually put a dab of solder on my iron and then wipe it off on the sponge after each solder joint, keeps the tip clean and hot

4. get a pair of "helping hands". they're a small pivoting stand with clips on it to hold your work or wires for you.

5. have a high pain tolerance :D inevitably you will be burned

6. sometimes less is more, just try to work your way up from having too little to having just enough rather than from too much down to just enough. i find desoldering a lot harder than soldering :p.

7. the number one mistake is probably people trying to put solder on the iron and then transfer it. you touch the solder to where you want it and then carefully heat the wire (or whatever) until the solder slowly melts onto it.

now if i can get a picture from the phone i bought today onto my pc i'll show you what i soldered a couple of days ago :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom