Software Design Patterns

QueenSvetlana

Beta member
Why is it so hard to agree on certain design patterns? Why are there various opinions? I'll give you an example.

Not too long ago I was doing a hobby project in Java, and the topic of encapsulation came up. If you were to do a search, you'll find several forums/threads that are divided when it comes to this topic. Some say getters/setters are evil and should be avoided, that the object should perform the calculation/behavior, and give you the result. Now, I believe that getters/setter don't break encapsulation, they enforce it. I favor creating immutable classes, so I don't use setters, but I use getters to display my data.

Why is this topic and several others hard to define an answer for? I don't work professionally as a programmer, so forgive me if my questions sounds a little foolish.

Side Note: I didn't place this question in the programming forum because it's about design patterns, and it will have various answers with different opinions. I don't want to take attention away from someone who has a problem with code.

Last edited:
Why is it so hard to agree on certain design patterns? Why are there various opinions? I'll give you an example.

Not too long ago I was doing a hobby project in Java, and the topic of encapsulation came up. If you were to do a search, you'll find several forums/threads that are divided when it comes to this topic. Some say getters/setters are evil and should be avoided, that the object should perform the calculation/behavior, and give you the result. Now, I believe that getters/setter don't break encapsulation, they enforce it. I favor creating immutable classes, so I don't use setters, but I use getters to display my data.

Why is this topic and several others hard to define an answer for? I don't work professionally as a programmer, so forgive me if my questions sounds a little foolish.

Side Note: I didn't place this question in the programming forum because it's about design patterns, and it will have various answers with different opinions. I don't want to take attention away from someone who has a problem with code.

Mostly because there's a lot of different ways to do it, and even then varying "industry standards" depending on where you look. There's basic core principles that are shared, but then a lot of varying methodologies to get to the same outcome. Mostly depends on business need, and partially skillset or even just personal preference of the developer.

I personally use MVVM/MVC methodologies, and thus use getters/setters - however I don't do much calculation in the models. The only time I do any type of logic in the getters, is for read-only properties that are just display properties or combinations of multiple properties; for example: you have a class with FirstName and LastName properties - I might make a getter called FullName that just combines those other 2 properties in a specific format for my application to use.

Extending on that, I don't like putting business logic in the models. To me it's too messy - nearly all my business logic goes in a Service layer, which is separate from the UI and Data Access layers. Minimal logic in the DAL as well, as I just use that to do the pure data/CRUD operations.

I don't know much Java, but are Java interfaces like C# interfaces? I guess I'm not sure if that'd be a code smell / bad practice or not... I personally only use interfaces with dependency injection with my applications. Interfaces should just be treated as "contracts" where a class implementing that interface promises to implement the methods outlined in the interface in some way (which is why interfaces are different from abstract / virtual classes).

I don't know much Java, but are Java interfaces like C# interfaces? I guess I'm not sure if that'd be a code smell / bad practice or not... I personally only use interfaces with dependency injection with my applications. Interfaces should just be treated as "contracts" where a class implementing that interface promises to implement the methods outlined in the interface in some way (which is why interfaces are different from abstract / virtual classes).

Yes, the principals are the same. So logically, if I supplied a getter in my interface, it's a promise that any class implementing that interface would have that getter.

Give that you use it for dependence injection, that would mean you at least supply a setter in an interface, correct?

Last edited:
Yes, the principals are the same. So logically, if I supplied a getter in my interface, it's a promise that any class implementing that interface would have that getter.

Give that you use it for dependence injection, that would mean you at least supply a setter in an interface, correct?

No, my interfaces only consist of method signature declarations. And then when I wish to use an instance of that class, I use a private field to instantiate my interface inside the constructor, and use something like Ninject to actually map my interface to my implementing class.

Edit: might be easier to show an example of what I'm talking about...

Code:
//define our interface, with our method signatures as "contracts"
public interface IMyService
{
	public int GetInt();
	public void DoSomething();
}

//implement the IMyService interface 
public class MyService : IMyService
{
	//implement both methods explicitly in some way 
	public int GetInt()
	{
		return 1;
	}

public void DoSomething()
	{
		//do some kind of operation
	}
}

public class ClassA
{
	//create a variable of the interface type to use for dependency injection & accessing the interface methods
	private IMyService _myService;

public ClassA(IMyService myService)
	{
		//assign the injected instance to our class instance 

//the Ninject library i mentioned would take care of giving us an actual class instance 
		//of MyService when we request the IMyService interface automatically 
		_myService = myService;
	}

public void MyMethod()
	{
		//call the methods that our service interface contains 
		var i = _myService.GetInt();
		_myService.DoSomething();
	}
}

Last edited:
Back