Sockets?

I have the basic knowledge of what I socket is. I still have some questions about it and I've read about it on wikipedia. One my questions is does the number that follows the socket, such as socket xxx, mean anything? or is it just there to be a name? Additionally, let's supposed the Nehalems were out. If I were to buy a motherboard to support them, would I still be able to use processors that required older sockets?

Thanks. If anymore questions pop up you can expect me here asking them =]

The number following "socket" commonly refers to the number of pins used by the CPU. So a socket 939 has 939 pins, the LGA 775 has 775 pins, etc.

The motherboards that will support the Nehalem chips will be a new socket LGA 1366, it will not support older CPU's.

Thank you. And I do believe they will have an Octo core in the Nehalems if I'm not mistaken. Anyone think it will be worth getting one? Games are barely at quad-cores and they're doubling again.

well we will see when they come out. But I'd say that no, it's probably not worth getting one. What do you need 8 cores for?

I would stick with the quad, its a true 4 cores and will be much faster than anything we have now.

There aren't that many multi-threaded applications that will fully take advantage of 4 cores let alone 8 cores due to the fact that they are hard to code.

So a decent dual or quad will do.

I just thought about something. If you have an octo-core wouldn't you be able to install a PS3 OS and play the games on your computer? You could have much more dedicated memory and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom