Socket 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

In Runtime
I was just wondering if a 939 socket rig was worth building these days, or if it is too behind the current hardware. Just as a main purpose PC(web surfing, mild gaming, picture/video editing, music) is the 939 able to hold its own in the midst of the 775s and the AM2s? It got me thinking today..."In order to save some money, should I just build a 939 build..?" I mean, the opteron, venice/san diego, etc cores are very durable and notable. Would you save up a little more and put together a decent AM2 build or cut some money to make a fast/middle-high class 939 build?

i would buy a 775 or an AM2 rig as they are the latest socket mobo (775 being intel and AM2 being AMD), buying a 939 rig isnt really a step back at the moment just a step no-where, dual core 939 CPUS can cost way more than the equivalent AM2 CPUS, so i would if i were you buy a AM2 or 775 as they are mainstream at the moment

i have a 939 and my games run fantastic, im thinking of goin Am2 but i have recentley brought a sony vaio vgn-c2s G but i thought my computers really fast and they are really cheap to make now. so its up 2 you, depends on what you use it for. My pc runs every game i got really well.:)

i have a 939 and my games run fantastic, im thinking of goin Am2 but i have recentley brought a sony vaio vgn-c2s G but i thought my computers really fast and they are really cheap to make now. so its up 2 you, depends on what you use it for. My pc runs every game i got really well.:)

Can I ask what games you play?

I also am using Socket 939 and it's super fast too. I've had my PC for more than two years already with no upgrades and it's playing every single game very nicely.

But if you're going for a new build, I suggest going for newer sockets though. Socket 939 is starting to fall back in time. Get AM2 or LGA775. They have a lot of budget boards there too.

its just all depends on what your gonna be using it for. I mean if its jsut common usage with mild gaming i don't think it matters. Am2 or 775 probably would be the best for you however i don't think it matters really. Right now the prices on ddr2 is awesome which i beleive its running cheaper then ddr at this moment (i haven't looked into the prices to far)

Just make 2-3 builds of 1 of each one and then pick from there what would be better for your money/performance.

i have socket 939, not planning on upgrading for another 2-3years though, i might get an opteron and a new gpu though

Socket 939 has been around for nearly 4 years now and each year, I thought about upgrading my PC. But unless I can see a significant speed increase over what I have, it's not worth it because what I have is pretty fast already. My system is 3 generations behind already when you compare what I have to quad core systems and DDR3 technology.

Not to mention these new solid state hard drives we have now. Boy are they expensive.

939s were discontinued, so the socket is dead... what's out there is all that is out there, no new CPU's are being made. With that said, the 939s operate at comparable speed to most AM2 CPUs.

939s use DDR RAM, while AM2 uses DDR2. That is the biggest difference. AMD continued on with the AM2, so the higher end CPUs are faster than where the 939s left off.

whoops..anyway, I built 2 builds on newegg(one being am2 and the other, 939) the prices only differed at $80-$90..not much if you ask me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom