Social Engineering, the USB Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
Social Engineering, the USB Way

by Steve Stasiukonis is VP and founder of Secure Network Technologies Inc. Special to Dark Reading

JUNE 7, 2006 | We recently got hired by a credit union to assess the security of its network. The client asked that we really push hard on the social engineering button. In the past, they'd had problems with employees sharing passwords and giving up information easily. Leveraging our effort in the report was a way to drive the message home to the employees.

The client also indicated that USB drives were a concern, since they were an easy way for employees to steal information, as well as bring in potential vulnerabilities such as viruses and Trojans. Several other clients have raised the same concern, yet few have done much to protect themselves from a rogue USB drive plugging into their network. I wanted to see if we could tempt someone into plugging one into their employer's network.

follow link above for more

HAHAH, thats amazing!

I love the way in this case, the phrase curiosity killed the cat, is pretty much true. Without any killing though...

o_O

overall, well worth the 2 minutes it took me to read :p

lol thats quite funny... I have to admit that if I found one of the USB flash drives that I would have to plug it in and read the contents.

That is very clever. But surely, you find a usb stick... Yes, you'd check what was on it, but wouldn't you scan the contents first? I mean if it's owner was stupid enough to leave it in the car park, why would they be clever enough to have virus protection? Maybe I'm just talking with the benefit of hindsight having read the article, but if i wouldn't have scanned the contents before reading it, I will now!!

4NHJPCLGPL5PEBIDB6UCJS2CVN52M4YI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom