Dell Optiplex GX240
Win XP pro
2.8GHz Celeron (northwood)
1GB SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce2 MX 200 (bleh...)
40GB HDD
CDRW/DVD drive
HP vs17e monitor

Completely free. All of it. All that was paid for are the speakers, wireless card, and mouse/keyboard.

A friend of mine also found a Dell Precision 650 junked. That's a p4-era dual 3GHz Xeon system, which means hyperthreading, which means its like a pseudo quad-core system...sort of...

I think my sister actually wants to be screwed over tech wise. I keep saying to her that all her laptop needs is to be reformatted but she says why take all my stuff off just to have to set it all up again on the same computer may as well get a new one. I just put a new keyboard on it too which wasn't exactly a cake walk all because she refuses not to eat at her computer.

how old is she haha

that kinda sounds just plain stupid

She would be 22. The replacement she wants has to be very fast, light decent size screen not bulky and under 400$ which will not ever happen since the only thing you can get even close is a netbook which would be slow and small screen.

Another funny thing is her boyfriend was trying to convince her to get a new one so he can have that one and all of a sudden she'll be like on second thought I think I'll just keep it.

On another note about finding roadside computers, Back in grade 10 we were on the way to school on the bus on a nice spring day and this guy sitting across from me all of a sudden runs up to the front and says stop and they stop the bus and he gets out and comes back with a laptop with a broken screen lol That was hilarious our bus driver really was awesome for stuff like that. That same day the guy had it in the old computer lab hooked up to a separate screen and was using it.

paint the computer white and put a picture of an apple on it then reformat it.

If she is as un tech savy as you say she is, she wouldn't even notice the difference if she never used a mac

She said she doesn't want a mac. We were looking in a store last week to see what there was and to ask if there was any hope in fixing her laptop since she didn't trust my judgment. I pointed to a macbook air and said here this meets your criteria of small, fast except it wasn't very cheap

Speaking of Free stuff, I've brought 2 laptop when I worked over Future shop. One of them needs a backlight invertor and the other one might need a backlight, and the caddy/connector for the HDD.

It's crazy to think that people just thro stuff out like that.

That was a pretty sweet deal then, where was that?

Someone posted it up on another forum I'm on. I actually saw the title of the thread I just never checked it until it was too late. :( Could have upgraded my server or just built another system to sell.

Let me add something: I'm now using it as my main for now. My main PC's board gave out. Posts to a blinking dot. Troubleshooted all I could have done, but in vain...it's dead.

Found it off when I had it on when I left and when I came back, it didn't turn on, unless I killed the PSUs of power.

Similar story,was at the dump on a rainy day,under all this scrap i found a Compaq Presario (3Ghz P4,512mb RAM,80gb hdd). Took it home,let it dry out and replaced the PSU! It's now one of my workhorses LOL.

Back
Top Bottom