Logan1

In Runtime
thats what i need to know.

i have an OCZ gameXtreme 700w PSU
6600 conroe
4GB of ram(active cooling)
8800GT
asus p5b deluxe mobo

computer shut off yesterday in mid web browse. not even a hickup before then, no warning at all. i thought psu immediatly but tested it today and it works fine in another computer but not even a sputter out of the working one from computer i'm typing on now.

when i try to start up my computer with either psu in the light on the mobo turns on. the light on the ram fan turns on for a second then goes out, the fan spins about a quarter spin and then stops.

so what do you fellows think is wrong? not only that but i been out of the computer part buying business for a while, what suggestions for replacements do you have? (tentative price range < $100)

thanks for the help

Sounds like a motherboard issue to me.

I would just buy the same motherboard and replace it, that way you won't have to reformat your pc or anything.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131045&Tpk=Asus p5b deluxe

yeah thats what i'd do.
Seems most likely you're looking at a Mobo issue...perhaps something blew or simply a hardware failure on the board.
You can either grab another PSU from somewhere and test it out on the pc....or like Tommy said, buy the same board and see what happens.

I'm not so sure it's the motherboard, was the system you tested the PSU in of similar spec?

i would try another PSU, even if it works fine with your other system.
PSU lose efficieny after awhile of use, so it doesnt give as much energy as it did when you first got it. So im assuming that the PSU doesnt generate enough power.

other than that, im assuming its the motherboard.
RAM would give you post beeps, CPU will not post when turned on, graphics card will also give you beeps.

when i try to start up my computer with either psu in the light on the mobo turns on. the light on the ram fan turns on for a second then goes out, the fan spins about a quarter spin and then stops.

This is exactly the symptoms my computer had. I took it to fry's and they said it was the motherboard. it was fried:(

thanks for the advice. the system i tested my psu on is very similar but not identical. mobo makes sense to me, i can only hope that the cpu is fine, i don't have the money to replace that right now.

seeing as i was just about to buy a new harddrive, i wouldn't mind reformatting for a new mobo. any suggestions of different mobos? my 8800gt is PCiE2.0 but running in x16, is there a noticeable difference if i were to upgrade?

there is no performance gains between 2.0 and x16
Reason is because 2.0 use 32 bandwidth as compared to the 1.0/1.1 (x16) which uses 16 bandwidth.
But there is no card out there that can use up all 16 bandwidth, so the 2.0 is pretty useless, but you will get a gain in benchmarks, but when playing games, its the exact same.

Back
Top Bottom