So, i'm upgrading an old computer i have and i need a bit of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shananigans

Solid State Member
Hey guys, so i have a computer that i'm planning on upgrading so i can play some standard games sch as League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Team Fortress 2, Guild Wars 2, etc. It has really crappy specs, such as a 1.60GHz intel pentium processor, 2 gig of ram, a sub-par video card. Here's what i plan to upgrade it with.

Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

C
PU:
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

M
otherboard:
ZOTAC 880GITX-A-E AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

R
AM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

P
ower Supply:
ENERMAX NAXN ENP550AWT 550W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply

I
have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse covered. But i'm also a bit worried about a case. How big of a case would i need to fit all of that in? My current one is currently 15 1/2 x 14 /12 x 6 1/2 inches. I'm not sure how well you can visualize that but could you estimate if that might be enough to hold all of that? If not, could you point me towards a relatively cheap case that could? It would be much appreciated.

Also, if you find any other flaws/issues or just want to recommend any changes feel free, i'm anything but an expert on this kind of stuff.

Thanks so much!

Any reason why you choose this cpu/mobo bundle?

If you dont need the onboard wifi, theres better cheaper options.
I'm not a fan of eNERMAX either.

Only issue you might have fitting is the gpu. Measure the spot in your case and check the cards measurements of the web.

You actually can't put a video card in that motherboard, it only has a PCIe x1 slot.

My suggestion keeping around the same prices:
CPU + MB: -$31 ($15 MiR) AMD FX-4100 + Asus M4A87TD/USB3.
PSU: +$10 ($25 MiR) OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W.
RAM + GPU: +$30 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600/CAS9 + Gigabyte GTX560 Ti.

So you'll pay $9 more up front, but get an extra $25 in rebates and a bit more performance.

That graphics card is 9.5" x 5.3" x 1.7", definitely measure inside your case to see if it will fit.
Also, do you know if you have a retail or OEM Windows license? changing the motherboard will require a new license if it is OEM.

There wasn't any specific reason, i just saw a combo deal and got all excited, haha. I feel like i might as well ditch my old case, i wouldn't want to risk it not fitting. Could you recommend a not so expensive case for me that'll fit all of this? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom