Small SSD?

noingwhat

Solid State Member
Hi! I am looking at getting a new computer, and I am a true power user to computers, so I need one that has high performance in mind. One issue I am running into is my harddrive. I don't typically use to much memory on my harddrive (atleast by my standard) but to stay in my budget, I would have to get either a 128GB SSD, or a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD. I really want to get the SSD, but the only thing I am afraid of is that I am afraid of going over. Right now I am using quite a bit, around 109 GB, but typically, I will use about 80-90GB. The highest I think I have ever gotten is 119. I use a 250GB HDD right now, so space is not an issue, but I am afraid of what might happen if I were to downgrade to a 128GB SSD. They are both around the same price, so that is not the issue, but I do not think I am going to be able to come up with enough money for the 256GB SSD by the time I am ready to get the new laptop. :( Any tips on what I should do?

Thanks!

IF this is for a desktop
get the regular hard drive.

there really isnt many advantages to using a SSD, besides a few seconds in boot up or a few seconds in programs.

TO ME, the few seconds isnt worth the premium price. And smaller drive space.

You can always install a SSD and use one of your current hard drives as a secondary drive. I currently use three different hard drives in my computer and it's a great way to manage all of your files without having to worry about running out of space.

In all honesty, I think a 500GB or 1TB hard drive @ 7200RPM would suffice. I run a WD Raptor (150GB, 10,000RPM) and love it; however, I will say that I do not feel a *world* of a difference from my new WD 1TB Black drive. Also, keep in mind that SSD, while always improving, is still fresh to the scene and will cost you a lot more for a lot less capacity.

I'd stick to a nice 7,200/10,000 RPM drive.

WD 1TB 7,200 RPM Black:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10,000 RPM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

As I had said, I do not need anything all too big, I have never gone over 150 and don't think I ever will. I am just a bit woried because I have gotten up to about 120 before, and that is just on a partition. My current drive eats up about 10GB that I can't figure out where it went, I have even looked at the partitions through a partitioning software, and still nothing, and I am just afraid that if that were to happen again, I would run short on space.

And price does not matter, because as I said, the 500GB 7200 rpm HDD is about the same price as the 128GB SSD.

Go with the 7200RPM drive. SSDs tend to be less reliable than regular HDDs just because the technology is still fairly new. Also, it's nice to not have to worry about how much space you have left.

Just wondering, does anyone have any sort of benchmarks between an SSD and 7200 rpm HDD? If so, please post, that would be very helpful to my decision.

Thanks!

Regular 7200 rpm hard drives have so much cache these days that they are almost as fast as 10,000 rpm drives, just a tick slower (which isn't much). Go with the regular hard drive, it'll still be plenty fast.

Most SSD's aren't that much faster, you have to get the real expensive ones to really see any improvement. Some of them have issues as well with firmware, they're not perfect yet, I'd wait for a while before getting an SSD.

Back
Top Bottom