Small car needed for under $6K - opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know when I was taking Driver's Ed 4 years ago I drove a Vibe and could barely fit in it. And I was smaller then I am now (6' 4", around 300). I know they have redone them a little but now they look smaller but that may just be the body styling. A guy a little taller then me came into work with a Kia Soul and said it was ok for his size but I know those are newish (just checked and the first model year was 2010).

Just today I rode in my cousins VW Jetta and I fit easily in the passengers side. I know the driver's seat is normally more cramped but you may want to check them out also.

Just my 2 cents.

Ya, have started looking into a VW- heard I fit O.K. in a new bug as well. But they don't get great mileage unless you get a diesel which is problematic in Pittsburgh winter. But have read the Glow plugs have greatly improved to start in the cold.

One thing about those diesel cars is that in the winter the diesel will want to turn into gel, gotta plug up a heater to keep the tank warm enough to keep it from all turning to gel.

hmmmm. I thought they somehow got that difficulty taken care of in the newer models.

Newer cars probably have a highly insulated tank, AND a heater that heats the fuel while the car is running, to get the fuel HOT, but not to the point it poses danger, and it can last a good deal of time, or just a built in heater that runs off the battery for a short period of time.

'97 Acura integra 3 door

< 5k is a stellar budget. I would drop that pre-req of 25+ mpg city though. Discounting hybrid options I'm pretty sure almost all brand new civic options are still under that and a brand new corolla is something like 26. You could get a late 90's Camry for that coinage and even a mid-late 90's Lexus ES (if you can find one) and expect a lot of miles are still left, but those are sedans. I think your best option is a mid-late 90's Acura Integra hatchback. That is a small, inexpensive car with a good reputation. The official city mpg is 24, but you'll do less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom