Slow Windows 10 External HDD recognition/initializing.

Smart_Guy

Fully Optimized
So I got this new cool 4-HDD USB 3.0 external storage enclosure. It has three initializing modes but none of them seems to allow Windows to start smoothly enough. Best I could get was starting Windows perfectly normal without the HDD's showing in My Computer then having the enclosure start initializing the HDD to finally show up after like a minute or so. What can I do to have it initialize as fast as possible, if there is a possible faster way?

It is always plugged but they re-initialize with each startup. When I quickly go to My Computer right upon start up I don't find them there. Guess I'm doomed to wait for a bit before I start using them.

Have you scanned any of these drives for errors? I know that windows will take a very long time to boot because it gets stuck attempting to seem like it is trying access the drive first.
Try running "sfc /scannow" on each drive to see if it shows anything with each drive
Please read this:
Use sfc or dism to fix drive

My storage testing apps; HDD Sentinel and Crucial "something" returned with good results of 100% healthy for all of those HDD's and they were quick and WIn10 booted fast before removing them from the case to the enclosure. You think they need full scan? I'll have a look but have to ask because it takes way too much time.

Windows doesn't care about externals on boot up. The initialization period is more than likely dealing with the chipset in the external itself rather than anything wrong with your machine. I'm saying this because it's a JBOD/HBA enclosure rather than just a single drive enclosure. I had this issue with an Iccy Dock 4 bay USB3 enclosure I had and at the end of the day I wound up tossing it because drives started not showing up period.

The drives could be perfectly healthy.... but if there is something causing a corrupt file within the windows file system, then the software you used is not looking for that. It's just telling that the drive (physically) itself is good. Honestly I'm not trying to make things hard for you, but just say'n there's an option you ought to check. If you do not want to take the time to check then that is o.k. by me. Chances are that PP's suggestion could be very valid and it is the usb external that causing your issues

I did say I will look into scanning the drives ;)
Didn't mean to be rude asking that question. I was really wondering.
I thought maybe something like power management/saving settings, something in the BIOS or something. Some trick here or there?
I just got home and went to scanning the HDD's already.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom