Slow Windows 10 External HDD recognition/initializing.

I'm only assuming that because I doubt he has any software or Windows files on any of those externals.
What I ment was... the drive is an NTFS or FAT 32 file system. If that has any issues, it could cause windows to hang. I think if it was anything else, Windows would not recognize the drive(s)
SG should attempt to try another usb external device, with the same drives just to see if that this the issue. I do agree that it looks more like what PP suggested and that the usb external device is your issue

Last edited:
Sure, but my take on it was the drives are taking a long time to initialize once he's already in Windows. To me that points to the external enclosure itself as sometimes USB devices take a while before they're recognized by Windows.

Okay, the HDD's work like a charm. I put them back in the computer and Windows ran swiftly in the several restarts I did. They are all 100% healthy and in NTFS file format. It is the enclosure. A little delay won't hurt, I guess. Contents of the HDD's in the enclosure are fun media and documents. System stuff and games are internal.

The enclosure supports eSATA. You guys think it's worth it in terms of HDD initialization and recognition? I will try it myself when I get home but feedback could help. Not sure if the eSATA I have supports multi-drives. I hope it does.

I think I asked the wrong question. I think this is perfectly normal for an multi-HDD external USB enclosure or any storage the more HDD's there are. The question should have been something like if the enclosure can show the HDD's exactly, or at least similarly, as if they are internally connected. I don't think this is possible. Or is it?

Anyway, the built-in eSATA did not recognize the device at all. Documentation says if the eSATA in my computer does not support multi-HDD (or something, forgot the name), the enclosure may read only one HDD or none at all. Well it was the latter for me.

I think I asked the wrong question. I think this is perfectly normal for an multi-HDD external USB enclosure or any storage the more HDD's there are. The question should have been something like if the enclosure can show the HDD's exactly, or at least similarly, as if they are internally connected. I don't think this is possible. Or is it?

Anyway, the built-in eSATA did not recognize the device at all. Documentation says if the eSATA in my computer does not support multi-HDD (or something, forgot the name), the enclosure may read only one HDD or none at all. Well it was the latter for me.
You can see each individual drive when setup as HBA.

Back
Top Bottom