Slow startup due to Sound cards

Turbosteve

Beta member
Hello all, i was recommended here by a friend who posts here frequently when he has a comp problem ! :p

I'm having an issue with my computer that has me completely stumped. Ill try to give as much detail as possible in the shortest amount of sentences.

Basically, my computer takes about 3-4 minutes to startup and get to the desktop ( there is a blank screen between the XP loading screen, and the "welcome" screen). Btw, I'm using XP Pro. Also, when it finally gets to the desktop, I have to unplug any usb devices and reattach them so that they work ( my mouse for example). I found out that my sound card is what is causing the problem. The thing is, I've tried three different sound cards in all 3 empty PCI slots and they are ALL causing a slow startup. I can not, for the life of me, figure out what is causing this. I've even reformatted my computer this evening and still have this problem with a fresh machine. I went into the bios assuming that this might actually be the culprit, and have disabled my on board audio ( which has never worked anyways...), thinking that there might be a conflict.

Unfortunatly its been like this for a couple months, so I cant pinpoint exactly what I may have done that would cause this problem. But I can tell you that I've had this computer ( I assembled it ) for over a year with no problems like this just until recently, but I've been ignoring it since it only has affected my startup. The computer and sound works great once too the desktop.

Other than replacing the motherboard, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome Thank you!

Steve

could you post your specs please?
did you load the latest drivers for your sound card?
how do you know it is the sound card that is causing the problem? did you try booting with it taken out?
and one final question, have you looked through your device manager to see if it is showing any problems?
woz

the reason i know its the sound card is because when i take it out, the computer boots up perfectly fine... and also, its not just this sound card, its ANY sound card, i've tried 3 different types

im not sure of the technical specs of the computer , but ill write what i know

Pentium 4 2.4ghz processor
Motherboard ( unknown )
sound card ( just a 15.00 compusa model )
geforce 5700 128mb vid card
1g of ram

maybe the PSU isn't big enough? :confused: What PSU are u using?

This is a damn long shot since a single sound card doesn't drain much power.

its a 450 watt power supply

but, assuming that is it, wouldnt that mean the sound would NEVER work?

Turbosteve said:
its a 450 watt power supply

but, assuming that is it, wouldnt that mean the sound would NEVER work?

that psu is big enough. So it's not a problem with power.

Back
Top Bottom