Slow Start Up?

jonesnewton

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have just had XP installed onto a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop and now its taking ages to start up? I have not installed anything to load at start up, but dont know what the problem is?

Is there any software out there that can help with this?
Or can you suggest something I might have done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Neil

okay what you should try is this. go to Start > Run. when the run window pops up type msconfig in the text box and hit enter. then go to the startup tab, and hit "disable all" at the bottom. hit apply then restart. this should increase your start up significantly.

Hi Spec,
tried this and it says after restart that I have changed the settings, I assume it is OK to leave ALL DISABLED?

Hi PvilleStang,
It is an old machine, only 124MB Ram, 850 MHz..Processor is an Intel Celleron.
I have to use this machine for now as mine died, so need to get a new one soon, but have to save a little first..
I will try other forum.

Thanks.

Seriously dude... The only way you are going to get any kind of good response time from that computer using Windows XP, is to use like 2 gigs of hard drive for swap... Also maybe if you tweek out the BIOS, you might get some extra umph, also if you can tweak through jumpers that might help... Otherwise you are looking at trying to overclock that little Celleron... Good luck to ya...
BTW if you really want to be able to use that computer for all it's got, and be able to use it somewhat sufficiently... Use Linux... Pup is great for old ass machines like that... Though if you used like Fedora Core 4, or even Fedora 8 ... it would run a hell of a lot faster with that, then it would with Windows...

I'm pretty sure when you consult your packaging on XP, it says the bare minimum is 256 mb of RAM. I'm not sure the minimum processing speed, but 850 is pushing the lower threshold. Consider adding RAM, and maybe downgrading to Win2000 or crossing over to Linux. But I'll warn you, once you get used to Linux, you may never want to cross back over to Window$ again.

Seriously dude... The only way you are going to get any kind of good response time from that computer using Windows XP, is to use like 2 gigs of hard drive for swap... Also maybe if you tweek out the BIOS, you might get some extra umph, also if you can tweak through jumpers that might help... Otherwise you are looking at trying to overclock that little Celleron... Good luck to ya...
BTW if you really want to be able to use that computer for all it's got, and be able to use it somewhat sufficiently... Use Linux... Pup is great for old ass machines like that... Though if you used like Fedora Core 4, or even Fedora 8 ... it would run a hell of a lot faster with that, then it would with Windows...

Hi Burn 420,

How can -or- do I do the SWAP?? There is 10 GB free on here, jnust need it to run faster, until I can get a new machine:cool:

And bios tweak?

I guess you can tell I am not a Computer Wizzard, so any basic help would be grateful:)

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom