Slow Internet-

Ireland

Solid State Member
Hi all. I am looking for some advice and help from all you techno wizards..

I've recently signed up for a Cable TV and Internet package here in South Korea.

My cable is working a treat..,
However I'm kinda disappointed with my internet connection!! The problem seems to be uploading pages...

It is very slow compared to the usual internet speed in Korea.
For example, I can hardly watch You tube or listen to radio stations without some kind of serious interruptions.

Downloading is quite a good bit better though..

Often internet pages take an age to load.. I'm sure I can do better than this what with Korea possessing one of the fastest internet connections on the planet!!

I use a Toshiba Laptop, Intel Pentium 4 which is about 4 years old now..

I mainly use Firefox.

Could the fact that I've an old laptop be the main problem or are there any other reasons that my internet is so slow at opening pages..
Ive only recently returned here and I was expecting a lot better..

Its kind of sad that my internet connection (at least uploading) was better in rural Ireland than in Korea...lol

http://www.speedtest.net/

I ran a test with speed test above and my result was

http://www.speedtest.net/result/580812814.png

Download 30.88 Mb/s

Upload 1.45 Mb/s

Ping 21/Ms

How come uploading is sooo slow??
Is it a hardware problem...or what..

I really hope I can get this resolved as its quite frustrating..
I hope somebody can shed some light for me!!

Thank You.

thats the about the same speed i got, and my internet is really snappy and fast.

i would recommend just trying out a new Ethernet card on your PC.
in my opinion.

How many people are on the cable connection in your area? Is it faster at certain times and slower at certain times?

See, the thing with cable is that people in the same area are on the same cable connection so the more people who are online and downloading or whatever, the slower your connection will be.

How many people are on the cable connection in your area? Is it faster at certain times and slower at certain times?

See, the thing with cable is that people in the same area are on the same cable connection so the more people who are online and downloading or whatever, the slower your connection will be.

so true

could also try to do a fresh install of the OS, or atleast of Firefox, sometimes it gets cruded up with crap ya dont need.

This seems to make perfect sense.. There are A LOT of people near here and I'm sure many of them have the same package that I have.. I think that yes it is slower at certain times too!

Err, that's frustrating..
Is there anything that can be done other than just simply switching my internet service provider?

This seems to make perfect sense.. There are A LOT of people near here and I'm sure many of them have the same package that I have.. I think that yes it is slower at certain times too!

Err, that's frustrating..
Is there anything that can be done other than just simply switching my internet service provider?
I think switching is probably your only option. Pay attention for a few days as to how much slower it is at certain times compared to others. Maybe load it up sometime in the middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping and see how fast it is.

thats very odd... mines at 7.8 mbps and its nice and fast... hard to say what could be causing the issue. probably you browser?

Back
Top Bottom