slow computer even with 2GB memory???

incubusfanclm

Beta member
hi, i've had my toshiba laptop for about a year and a half now, and for the first year it was fine, very quick, and i could perform several very taxing processes at the same time without a problem.

recently however it has slowed down a lot, even though i dont have many thing running. looking at the task manager, there are maybe 7 or 8 processes running, with most of them being system things. however if i were to start burning a DVD, for example, it would only take up maybe 75 MB of memory. but it will slow the laptop down to a snail's pace, making even simple things like typing a paper in Word impossible. the memory in the task manager though says only 42% of the physical memory is being used (less than 900MB out of 2GB). the cpu usage is at 100%

just wondering what the problem is and what i can do to fix it
thanks!

forgot to mention, i'm running Vista home 32bit, have 160 GB HDD, 1.73 Ghz, and most importantly.. I HAVE TURNED OFF ALL animation, special effects, transparency, etc.. it's basically like i'm running XP (visually)

forgot to mention, i'm running Vista home 32bit, have 160 GB HDD, 1.73 Ghz, and most importantly.. I HAVE TURNED OFF ALL animation, special effects, transparency, etc.. it's basically like i'm running XP (visually)

i've had the same issues in the past on my desktop - cleaning up your computer might help.
personally like recommended above, i use ccleaner and defraggler.
http://www.ccleaner.com/download
http://www.defraggler.com/

also, run malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
(that program rescued my computer from some spyware and viruses that were slowing it down like none other).
IF it is a virus or spyware, scanning and running different freeware programs can be time-taxing and frustrating. but stick with it. the only reason i say it can be malicious software is because you compared it to how your laptop "was" - and i had a similar situation on my desktop.

hi, i've had my toshiba laptop for about a year and a half now, and for the first year it was fine, very quick, and i could perform several very taxing processes at the same time without a problem.

recently however it has slowed down a lot, even though i dont have many thing running. looking at the task manager, there are maybe 7 or 8 processes running, with most of them being system things. however if i were to start burning a DVD, for example, it would only take up maybe 75 MB of memory. but it will slow the laptop down to a snail's pace, making even simple things like typing a paper in Word impossible. the memory in the task manager though says only 42% of the physical memory is being used (less than 900MB out of 2GB). the cpu usage is at 100%

just wondering what the problem is and what i can do to fix it
thanks!

What application is using 100% of memory? You likely need to click the "show processes from all users" tab in windows to see what's doing it.

if your not using programs like YIM, Xfire, MSN, AIM, ect u should close them, they tend to hog up resorces, and make sure at times when it seams really bad that you dont have a system scan going on, my old comp usto slow way down for no reason till i realised nortan was active ;)

OK if its running slow u might wana do this
go to new task buy hitting alt ctrl delete task manger then application new task and type
msconfig
go to start up and remove all the programs u know that arnt needed like aim and other stuff. by removing i mean unchecking them after that click apply and ok and restart. That will help alot.

Back
Top Bottom