slimline case to normal case?

farmer3210

Solid State Member
I currently have a DELL dimension 5150C and its starting to get pretty outdated, and im considering upgrading it, is it possible to convert a slimline PC into a normal width case? all the components are standard except for the grapichs card with is a NVIDIA Geforce 8600 512MB

Thanks for any help.

It depends how the integrated hardware is arranged. Where all the connections on your motherboard are, etc.

All components could not be standard if it was a slimline case if I'm correct, because a standard sized ATX motherboard would not fit into the case.

But, you shouldn't have problems fitting a slimline motherboard into a true ATX case, because pretty much all ATX sized cases will have extra screw holes to fit smaller motherboards in place (or at least I think so),

But, if you are upgrading, since it is pretty outdated, and are worried about the motherboard, etc, the motherboard might be too outdated to support newer hardware to warrant an upgrade with it.

I just googled that DELL and it seems kinda squishy inside. Looks like it uses a MicroATX motherboard though... I could be wrong.
If it was up to me... I'd build something new out of scratch and keep that one as a secondary computer.

yeah but to build a new computer from ground up, it costs a fair amount for a decent one, this way i can do it over time...

You may find technology drives too fast to do that successfully.

I stuck with AGP (on my last builld) and that killed me after only a few months, as I realised it would be very hard to upgrade to PCI-E without having to change everything.

size is not the problem, form factor is, it will not work with midtower or full ATX cases, it has a SFF PicoBTX form factor motherboard...

Back
Top Bottom