SLI questions

superman22x

Golden Master
Hi, I am getting a 7600GT, and in a year or so might get a second one, and run it in SLI, so I am trying to find a card, is doing this even a good idea, because I dont want to spend too much on a card now and dont want to spend to much on one later. I looked on ebay and newegg, ebay is cheaper, I found a card with the same product code on both sites, but the one on newegg has 1 VGA out and 1 DVI out, but the one on ebay has 2 DVIs out, will these cards still work in SLI, or is something else different too?

As long as both cards are PCIe (obviously) and both the same model number such as both 7600GT's (in your case) or say 2 7950GTX's they will work fine. You can mix vendors (ex. XFX and eVGA will work together) but just don't mix the GPU's (ex. a 7600GT and a 6800GT WILL NOT work together). Make sure the 7600 series you are looking are either both 7600GT's or both 7600GS's. If one is a GT and one is a GS then they will not be compatible together.

also make sure when you upgrade to an SLI configuration taht you meet the power supply requirements. I belive the average needed for SLI is 500w. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Ok, I have 550W, but any 7600GT can work with any other 7600GT? I have teh 570 Split-A mobo, if that matters. I didn't know they could be different brands too, Because some have different clock speeds as well.

superman22x said:
Ok, I have 550W, but any 7600GT can work with any other 7600GT? I have teh 570 Split-A mobo, if that matters. I didn't know they could be different brands too, Because some have different clock speeds as well.

yes different brands work together. I believe that there was a driver update that allowed this.

mammikoura said:
yes different brands work together. I believe that there was a driver update that allowed this.

correct, all newer drivers support this feature (im not sure which driver release was the first but as long as you have a current one then there won't be any problems).

ok, good, so I can get one now, and get a second 7600GT, later, and it can be any 7600GT. Thanks.

Just note that the card running the slowest will set the clockspeed - so theres no point having one super overclocked card and one normal card.

superman22x said:
OK, and when I get these cards I can overclock them too correct?

sure, why not. The temps might get a little higher (if u are on air cooling) since both of the vid cards will put out alot of heat, causing the air temperature to rise. But that shouldn't have a big effect, and it's nothing an extra fan couldn't fix.

Back
Top Bottom