Sleep Study (sort of) -- Webcams the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewallinthehall

Beta member
Hello. Newbie here.

A quick background: I have a form of Epilepsy which causes me to have violent seizures, but only in my sleep. This happens generally every few weeks. Immediately after the seizures, I usually go through what's called the "postictal phase" where I'm very confused and move around the house doing some really strange things... sort of like an extreme form of "sleep walking".

I want to get a better sense of what I do in this period and would like to set up about 4 cameras in key locations. I can't afford to throw thousands at the project, but what I'd like is...

• Motion activated so just the active camera is being recorded.
  • A reasonably good picture, but color and sound aren't important.
  • I leave some lights on so I don't break anything (or me) during these periods, so night vision isn't that important.
  • I'd like to be able to just switch the system on when I go to bed each night.

Anyway, can wireless webcams do something like this? IP cameras? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I believe all newer, Logitech like my own, have the software for motion recording so that may be a good bet.

Wireless webcams might be the best route.

Going the ultra cheap route:
How many machines (PCs) do you own?
How far apart are the key points?
Do you have an ideal budget?

Hi, Abstract Hero.

In answer to your questions...
-- I have one PC laptop: RC512-S01 Notebook.
-- The greatest distance between any of the cameras would be about 20 feet.
-- Ideal budget? I'm so new to this idea that I really don't even know what to guess, but I would say $500 starts to approach "too much".

Would 4 of the Logitechs be able to all go through a USB hub and have the PC just ignore whichever ones aren't active at the moment?

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom