Sleep Mode

bluenose1940

In Runtime
For the past few days my pc is taking some 30 seconds or so to wake up from sleep mode when I click on the mouse.

Is there a simple answer to this or, am I going to be told that my computer is full of junk and needs a re-install of Windows 10?

Any help will, as always, be gratefully received. Thank you.

It doesn't seem related to the amount of junk you have. The obvious questions are:
  • Is this new? If not, when did it start?
  • Did you make any changes to the computer (software or hardware) before this started happening?
  • Are there a lot of programs running in the background? How is your RAM when using the computer normally?
  • Are you using hybrid sleep? (I'm not sure how Windows handles waking up from hybrid sleep but it could be related.)

Hello AMD_man, thank you for coming in on my problem.

The problem has been happening for about 4 or 5 days now.
I haven't made any changes to anything at all.
I am not aware of any programmes running in the background. Is there an easy way to tell if there are?
When the pc is in normal use, the speed seems to be fine.
I don't know what hybrid sleep is.... sorry.

It's good practice to use a search engine when you don't know what something is or how to do something. That way you don't have to wait for me to explain and I don't have to wait for you to answer.

Hybrid sleep: when Windows suspends to RAM it also hibernates, meaning that it saves you memory content in your storage, in case there is a power loss and you can still wake it up from hibernation and you don't loose your work. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+hybrid+sleep&t=brave&ia=web

To check for background processes and memory usage open the task manager and search through the panels. You'll know when you've found it. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+memory+usage&t=brave&ia=about

You didn't install anything or made any changes to the settings?

No I haven't installed anything new for quite some time. I really do feel though that I have downloaded stuff (over the past 12 months or so) that I don't really need.

I am going to take the bull by the horns and do a clean install, I think that I should be OK doing this. Thanks again for your help.. I will re-visit this thread when I'm done and let you know how things went.

Back
Top Bottom