simple questions

kisho

Solid State Member
ok, i always wanted to know this, let say im building a computer from scratch, and obviously u buy the motherboard processor, case, and powersupply, wat do u loook for in all four parts so they will go togethe, like i kno the motherboard sockets has to correspond with the processor socket type, but other then that, does the case has to be specific for the motherboard? and does the powersupple has to match the case and the motherboard?

ok, you have to take into account that MOBOs come in ATX, micro ATX, etc.... so, yeah, they have to match the case pretty much. i guess you could put a micro ATX in an ATX if you ruin your new case by drilling extra holes in it. and you would have to get the same power supply, too.

85% of PSU's will work in a normal ATX case. and you dont have to drill extra holes. i had a MATX motherboard in my ATX case

and you need to make sure that the power supply is compatible with the mobo. It's either 20 or 24 pin connector, and most of the time they need to be the same. Some mobos which have 24 pin connector can also accept 20 pin connectors.

But there is always those 20 to 24 pin converters, I'm guessing they usually include those in the power supply package, but can't be sure since I haven't bought a retail psu in ages.

An easy way is to start with the motherboard first. That's the main component. Determine you want to go with Intel or AMD. ATX is most common form factor and has the most features. Once you know what you want to go with, then look up compatible CPUs that goes with that motherboard. Usually the motherboard specifications will tell you what processor and socket they support, making purchase on a CPU easy.

Most motherboards these days have 24, +4 additional pins for power. The 4 pin socket is used to power the CPU. You'll see it on the motherboard. When you get a power supply, most likely it will support a majority of the motherboards. It's just a matter of power requirements you have to look at due to various components you plan on installing after that.

Then from that point on, you get RAM, case, hard drive, video card, sound card (if you don't plan on using the onboard sound), DVD burner, etc.

Build around the motherboard. Get a motherboard, then get a processor depending on the socket, and of course a CPU cooler by socket, then, get RAM, again, depending on what slots your mobo has. GPU depending if oyu have PCI-e or whatever. Case and PSU is pretty much generic.

Back
Top Bottom