Shut down/sleep/hibernate/other?

Chevy409

Solid State Member
Quick question: What's the best mode to use when I don't need my computer? I use the pc everday and I've heard it's bad to shut it off and turn it on each time but when I put it in sleep mode, I still here fans and things working inside. To me, that seems like wasted hours on the pc's normal wear and tear. Right now I let it run all day long and shut down before I go to bed, but should I hibernate it or something instead? What's the best for extending my computer's lifetime? Thanks in advance.

hibernate stills leaves the power on your hearing the computer fans this is normal-your only turning off the video screen and harddrive. Power consumption will drop way down though.-Ive found crackers come out to play at night-if you do not have a firewall installed you should shut down at night.

So what's the benefit of hibernating then, besides your desktop and what you were working on will be restored? I do have a firewall. I guess to better phrase my question: Is it better on the computer to shut off and turn on everyday, or always leave on but use standby or sleep and still have fans and hard drives working? Thanks for the reply.

HIBERNATE. thats all i ever do now.. it's awesome.. i leave all my crap on the desktop and hibernate it. when i turn in back on the stuffs still there

Chevy409 said:
Quick question: What's the best mode to use when I don't need my computer? I use the pc everday and I've heard it's bad to shut it off and turn it on each time but when I put it in sleep mode, I still here fans and things working inside. To me, that seems like wasted hours on the pc's normal wear and tear. Right now I let it run all day long and shut down before I go to bed, but should I hibernate it or something instead? What's the best for extending my computer's lifetime? Thanks in advance.
Shut Down,go to bed.get up again,turn it on.Get a fresh start.
Do a Scandisk,Defrag and VScan while you have Bacon and yika's.
:D

Back
Top Bottom