Should I use EVGA step-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it costs around 40% more then a X1900 XT (the ones with the crappy stock cooler) or 25% more (the HIS one with the great cooler) and you usually get 40-50+% improvment. In many games you have to run it at around 2048x1538 to test the difference as many games are very CPU limited when running high-end cards. But even still in CPU limited games like BF2 and HL2 it would be nice being able to enable the crazy AA levels that SLI allows like 12xAA and 16xAA.

I keep seeing people recommending the XTX instead of the XT even though it costs like 40+% more for like a 5% improvment yet people are more alienated to hear 7950 over X1900 XT. Nonsense, it all goes down to the roots of these forums when SLI was new technology and back then SLI sucked hard johnson yet that ideal of "SLWHY" still exists today. But now SLI has matured in a very quick time. Althought the only SLI setup I would recommend is 7900 GTs but now witht he 7950 I don't recommend SLI anymore.

The main reason I want to do this is so that I won't lose any money with the Step up program as I'm sure the G80 is going to cost 600 bucks easy (for the "GTX" or whatever top of the line card as they'll probably have a 8800 GT and GTX varients especially if the R600 isn't out).

If I do miss out (but I probably wouldn't buy the 7950 unless I know when the G80 is scheduled) then even still I wouldn't care because I'm sure that card will handle UT2k7 great, maybe not maxed out. I could actually care less about DX10 cards because, really, I won't be buying Vista anytime soon and unless MS decides to do the right thing and put DX10 on XP if it's possible.

The main reason I want G80 is for it's horsepower, not just DX10, and I'm sure a 7950 can man-handle a ton of games today and in the future, ok well maybe not crysis, but still a lot of games!

Why don't you just buy a 7900GT and if the G80 is out by the end of the 90-days, "Step-Up" to a G80 card. If the G80 is not out, then "Step-Up" to a 7900GTX or 7950GX2. Hopefully after that, the G80 will be out and you can "Step-Up" to one.

No, it's just typical of a company's "great" offer, AnthraX. ;)

Beefcake, I'm in the same situation as you, except I'm building from scratch. Now that you've mentioned it, that sounds like a great idea. I have to build my system this summer, before September rolls around, otherwise I won't have time to. That means early August at the latest.

So, If I go through all of the crappy paperwork and hassle, and If the G80 equivalent of my GeForce 7900GT KO in price is better (and I hope it is), then I'll have a better card. If the G80 bunch gets delayed... meh. I'll still have a kick-4ss GPU.

Actually now that I think about it, gimme a minute and I'll register my card on the website and see. The box it came in didn't say anything about steup like my other one did though. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom