Should I upgrade?

I can't afford anything newer. and its not like i need a CoreI9 with 64 gb of ddr4 ram and a 1080ti. I can get along for a long time with a 4 core fx processor and 8-16 gigs of ram. I can do that for around $150.00 Not all at once and i can do the board with the processor and ram i have in this board i have right now. That board gives me time. This board is having display issues and may die on me. so, That board would help me a lot!.

I can't afford anything newer. and its not like i need a CoreI9 with 64 gb of ddr4 ram and a 1080ti. I can get along for a long time with a 4 core fx processor and 8-16 gigs of ram. I can do that for around $150.00 Not all at once and i can do the board with the processor and ram i have in this board i have right now. That board gives me time. This board is having display issues and may die on me. so, That board would help me a lot!.

So just to be clear, you already own something that can be used on an AM3+ build?

If it is about anything other than video cards, I'd say it could be a good idea to build a new computer with older generation parts.

IMHO, I don't think tech. improved for the average user that much in the last 5 years or so (again, excluding video cards).

However, that new build with older parts should use high-end old parts so it can live for some time to decently cover for that average user's needs.

I'm so glad I didn't upgrade my ~5 year old computer (or rather my financial problems stopped me). It still gives decent performance compared to newer gen. parts for my specific needs. Even my +4 year old video card still gives good performance (on par with GTX 1050Ti) and it's a high-end of its time but it requires beefy PSU, and that's why I exclude video cards in this.

No, he said he's getting the Asrock mobo so he can use it with the DDR2 mems that he have and upgrade to DDR3 later and maybe upgrade the CPU as well.

The board I gave him is limited to 2 gig mems. He's trying to get out of it. He's got 3 gigs of that DDR2 mems on that board.

The i3 system with 4 gigs mems I've built is plenty for me and it was built on a budget. I've pieced together my i5 system while using the i3 box. I built the i5 for durability and it was all good parts. This is what I'm running.

I tried to give away the i3 box before but then I realized that all the parts fits the i5 system. My i5 is 5 years old now and I think it still have some life left but glad to know that I can keep it in repair.

Last edited:
That and i can use ddr3 later with a fx processor. Right now i have processor thats am2. have 3 gigs of ram ddr2. For less than $50.00 bucks i can have a new motherboard so if this one does die i can get back on-line quick. The ram and pcu are ok. the board is the only thing i am worried about. I can get that board next month. Come on July!! Now if this board will last till then.

Just a thought of buying more ram for the ddr2 say 4 -8 gigs. Should help that thing along. I can get a athlon 64X2 6000+ for 15.00 bucks. Maybe i will stick with the dual core.

Just a thought of buying more ram for the ddr2 say 4 -8 gigs. Should help that thing along. I can get a athlon 64X2 6000+ for 15.00 bucks. Maybe i will stick with the dual core.

I realize this thread is almost meaningless by now, but if you want our opinion, why not make your own thread?

Back
Top Bottom