Should I upgrade?

Thats what you can get when you order it custom. Ordered this one from Asus. Prices always go up when you order special. I just hope that one can last 10 years!!!

I didn't say quad i7 laptops are rare ;)

And yeah, most laptops I find with lower prices in showrooms are dual core, and quad cores come expensive. Quad core laptops in showrooms seem to be more difficult to find within the desired specs at least where I live.

Last edited:
Sometimes its better to order one custom. That way you get what you want not what they just throw into them. Deb don't do any gaming but she could on this laptop! But it is not working that hard for what she does. Runs cool and no overclocking. Her last one(laptop) was one off the shelf. Bad mistake!!! Had issues with it all the time. It died at not quite 2 years old. This one she has is almost 2 years old now. Hardly any issues other than w10 junk. It is a great computer! If..I were to get a Laptop...It would be something like hers. I forget the graphics specs but the dvd is also a blue-ray player. I had thought about the I7, but changed my mind as she don't do gaming, so i didn't think she would need that. If it was for me i would have gone with the I7 8 core. 16 gigs of ram. Other than that it would be the same. Hers is a 15.5" screen. Anyway i will be looking at a A-10 or I5 or maybe a I7. That should last me years.

I don't think we should look at an i7 and and/or over 4 cores CPU laptops for games. Those don't add anything worthy in this department. And if they do, it would be a really bad bang for buck transaction and good for a few cases only. I think latest generation quad i5's are the best high quality bang for buck option in the most unprofessional use scenarios.

I'm on 3rd gen i5 desktop and it still flies and provide all CPU power needed for heaviest games. The GTX 680 is the bottleneck here.

Enthusiasm is another story tho and I understand why one would even get a 12 core i7 just for browsing in such a case ;)

Your wife already allowed you to buy a new case. You need to learn your place, pal. :lol:

I paid out 1000.00 for her asus with i5 and 8 gigs of ram. I am using a 12 year old motherboard. What is right about this picture???

I realize I'm late to the party but just had to make a comment on this:

Wife's are a lot like little brothers. They always play Luigi, and they always get your awesome computer after you upgrade. End of discussion. :lol:

Time to run before the feminazi's roll into the thread.

The setup I currently use is: [...]

Re: Should you upgrade?
I think you'll get varied responses. I would try other things first (posted below), but if you upgrade, I believe the other posters in the thread are doing well at discussing potential solutions.

Re: What to try if you don't want to upgrade.
Back up your data to external drive or DVD-ROM/BluRay.
Get a drive wiper like DBAN and wipe the drive clean (a blanking operation will suffice). **
Reinstall Windows

I'd be willing to bet your PC may just have "silent" malware on it that allows the controller to use it in a DDoS attack or cryptocurrency mining network. If a scanner didn't catch it, then you're left with a PC that appears normal... just runs slower than it should.

Footnote: If you don't understand the means by which the Windows Kernels (Version 6.0+) re-use Kernel files (even after a "Format"), then please don't make comments about how blanking a drive is not necessary. There's no point in re-installing Windows if you're not properly formatting the drive.

A quad i5 laptop? That must be something expensive. Even some i7's come dual core on laptops so you can imagine how special a core i5 is on one.

i5's in laptops in aren't quad core, they are just dual cores with 4 threads and hyperthreading.

Interesting that they are i5s. My i3 is dual core with HTT but it's a desktop though.

Wonder why Intel don't call them i3s.

Back
Top Bottom