Should I join the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a friend in the Navy right now. Hes in school becoming a Nuclear Engineer/Mechanic and will later become a submariner taking care of the reactor. For him it was his best option. Nothing really going for him here and he needed a taste of real life. He seems to be enjoying it immensely and doesn't mind the constant work and fast pace he has to deal with.

Personally I wouldn't do it. It's the Navy... If I was required to join military service and somehow the fact that asthma was of no importance I would join the AF. Flying would be much more fun than being stuck on something long, hard and filled with seamen. ;)

BabyBlueEyes said:
I wouldnt join the navy for anything or anyone ...
I think wars and things like that are completely stupid ...
And I sure wouldnt risk dieing and stuff over ppl i dont know ...
and being in the navy ...
sheesh ...
you wont be home alot

Looks like some people can't face reality. As horrible as it is, war is here, and war is here to stay; and in this world if your not militarily prepared to fight, you are a weak nation without much to say. Of course the goal of the United Nations is get rid of this, I doubt it will ever happen, until mankind is wiped out to extinction.

So in short, we need soldiers, sailors, pilots and those kind of people. Violence is human nature, and animal nature.

if you feel you can accept the responsibility and consequences of being in the military, it's a noble thing to do. i would personally never do it, but i'm not that type of person.

mostly, yea, think about this with yourself and your family. the internet is a collective is dumb and will probably steer you in the wrong direction.

SPL Tech said:
Well I would not be going to Iraq in the Navy. There is little need for a I.T. Tech there.

I would not say that. We (Yes, I am in the US Navy) have a program that it letting our sailors train at Fort Bragg with the Army DI's to work WITH the Ground-pounders in country's where we are currently stationed. SO yes, it is possible, albeit, you would have to volunteer.

Trotter and the others are correct. Joining ANY service, takes some serious thought. Asking the family for advice the the prudent thing to do, but the ultimate decision is yours. it's your life, and you have to live it. If going into the military is what you feel is right for you, then talk to ALL the recruiters. Please do not take any one's advice on here as sound, even mine.

I understand your hesitance and wanting to get some other imputs, and I commend your efforts. Any of the branches have there own specialties, and job. Each one has one or more "advantage" of technology over the other. What we are doing now in other countries is a personal decision you will have to come to terms with. I, on the other hand, work for our commander-in-chief. My personal opinions are null and void.

One last thing and I'll shut up. I have had this conversation with many people over my 17 years of service, and please understand; I CHOOSE this as my career. Many do not, and if that is the case, then by all means, continue else where. But I do want to say this. If you do enlist, or get your commission, the military is a life style. NOT a J.O.B. your whole way of thinking will change, your mannerisms, and even emotions will change. you are in the service 24/7. You may take the uniform at the end of the day, but you still represent the branch all the time.

On a lighter note, being in the Navy has given me the chance to see more than a dozen countries and not pay a dime to go there. :) I think the count is like 18 or something like that.

Ok, off my soap-box, but I hope I gave you some things to think about.

^^Nukem has a point - it's your decision. It's your life.

Me, provided I can lose the weight, Im going to join the AF. It's not a matter of serving my country or getting trained in a career. Those things are important, but they aren't a major factor in my decision. I have a college degree and a job programming now. I just want to do something else, like fly or shoot big guns. I want some added excitement. I won't make a career out of it, but it will definatly be an experience for me.

All said and done, at the end of the day, it's your choice. I would talk this over with your family, and do talk to the recruiters.

Beefcake said:
Marines just have to be just be physically fit, and mentally can go through all the training. Although technically you are in the Navy when you join the Marines.

I am an ex-Marine and believe me it takes more than physical attributes to train and lead Marines into battle. True maybe Marines carry the persona of being all brawn and no brain. but speaking from experience natural selection has a way of weeding them out. By looking at your profile I see you are still in high school, so please don't give advice on subjects that you can't possibley have any real personal experience on.

Believe me, I'd say more but I like it here and don't want to get banned for flaming.

If it were me then I'd go Air Force without even thinking twice. Navy would be second choice.

SPL Tech said:
I am currently a car audio installer, and I love it. However car audio does not pay very good....
You need to find a NON-RECRUITER Navy person, and talk serious with them. I mean money, benefits, travel, pay scale, advancement, etc.

The real advantage to the military is not pay or experience. It's structure. As in, structuring your life.

The military will give you structure, if you're lost or wandering. But if you want to make the big bucks and go your own direction in life, you'd probably be better off doing classes at a college or IT school. I know it's more expensive, but at least you won't be a "military asset" puttering around in the mid east gulf. :)

Just MHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom