Should I get a 790GX or 790FX board?

haon8

Baseband Member
Hi!

So, I know the main differences between the boards using GX and FX. However, I still need to know which will be better to get. I have made up my mind that I'm getting the Phenom II X4 940 along with 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, but I can't decide on the motherboard.

The only real differences I can see are that the FX have 4 PCI-E x16 slots, where when 2 slots are used they'll run at x16 speed and when 4 are used they'll all run at x8 speed. I also know that the GX comes with integrated graphics (not that I need it...I'm using an HD 4870) and the FX doesn't. Also, I know that a PCI-E x16 2.0 running at x8 will still be an equivalent of x16 in a PCI-E 1.0 slot.

My big question is this: Is it worth getting the ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 790FX ($200...more than I'd like to spend) or a cheaper MSI/ASUS $140-150 790GX motherboard (along the lines of the GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H or ASUS M3A78-T).

Another question, which MOBO would OC better? Both I'm looking at come with the SB750 chipset. In a heartbeat I would go for the MSI K9A2 Platinum but that's only based off the SB600, and from what I hear they don't OC as well.

Last, how does DFI do with boards? They have a 790FX board with the SB750 chipset for like $160 on the Egg...any feedback?

Also, I don't plan on Crossfiring anytime.

First of all, I'd go with the GX board. The FX doesn't offer enough features to cover for the increased cost. I think OCs on the GX vs the FX should be pretty similar. The FX may have a bit of an advantage because you have less circuits and stuff to worry about without having integrated graphics. At least that's what my logic tells me. As far as DFI boards, they're supposed to be great OC'ers. Since you plan on OC'ing and not on crossfiring, I'd look for a DFI 790GX board.

Will do, thanks :).

Any more suggestions? I'm REALLY planning out this purchase because last time I got a MOBO (which is my current MOBO) I boned myself with some ECS POS...not a worthy buy.

I currently have a Biostar motherboard and it's pretty good. Biostar, Gigabyte, Asus, and DFI. That's what I'd go with.

Yeah, I've heard some iffy things about Biostar. However, all the others you listed seem to be good (though you left out MSI...very good company).

Do you really need 4 PCI-E slots? Most drivers don't even support them that well.

Take a look at this
ASRock

This MSI

Or, this DFI Lanparty

The ASRock doesn't support Crossfire. So, I don't know how much you would consider getting a different GPU. The other two will do you well.

Do you really need 4 PCI-E slots? Most drivers don't even support them that well.

Take a look at this
ASRock

This MSI

Or, this DFI Lanparty

The ASRock doesn't support Crossfire. So, I don't know how much you would consider getting a different GPU. The other two will do you well.

I have not heard stellar things about ASRock...I would probably stay away. Also, it's not based on either 790 chipset, so I wouldn't go for it.

Yeah, the K9A2 Platinum seems to have a very solid reputation.

Also, I must have missed that DFI, it seems quite solid.

I think almost any of the GX/FX motherboards would suit me quite well. Now, all I need to know is which OC the best.

Oh, there's a reason I didn't see that DFI before. Its DDR2 standard is 800 MHz, I would rather get a board with a 1066 MHz standard.

Heres a DFI 790GX/SB750 DDR2 1066 Board.

And I hear the DFI boards OC very well.

Thanks, that was precisely one of the ones I was looking at :).

I've narrowed my MOBO choices down to these MOBOs:

For 790FX:

DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH

For 790GX:

DFI LANPARTY DK 790GX-M2RS

or

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H

or

ASUS M3A78-T

Before I started with this I never thought that DFI was that great a brand, but all things have pointed differently.

So, can anyone give me feedback on these?

Ok then, from everything I've checked out it is much more worth getting an SB750 board since they really do OC the Phenoms better. I've taken the K9A2 Platinum off the list because of this.

Back
Top Bottom