Shortcut for logging off XP

well, like I said, Im 16.
I go to school. School has computer - you have to log on and off of your account - I get lazy - I want a shorcut!

YAY!

lol thanks guys

btw.. I dont see a point in loggin on and of.. or haveing multiple user accounts on my home computer. I have my own.. well a hand me down from my brother :p
Even when we did only have 1 computer.. we only had one avccount.

oh if u wanna log out u can also just press

Windows logo key - L - L (all separately) (to log off)
Windows logo key - L - S (all separately) (to switch users)

Why I want to log off?

Here's a few reasons........

1. More RAM availalbe for other users when they log on
2. If another user restarts the PC for some reason you don't risk losing any data
3. Certain programs don't operate properly if they are still open under another logged in user.
4. AV programs run much slower and bog down the PC as they are monitoring open programs under other users.
5. Why not? It takes maybe a whole 5 seconds to log off. :cool:

Why multiple accounts at home?

1. Email client programs like Outlook can be set up for each user with your own address book, calenders, tasks, etc
2. Music programs like iTunes allows a seperate user and music library for each logged in user.
3. IE allows for completely different settings, favorites, etc.
4. The "look & feel" can be user configurable for your own tastes - screen savers, wallpaper, tool bars, etc.
5. Allow various permissions per account........admin, user, powert user, etc. (some people shouldn't be installing programs!)

There are plenty more reasons but these are just a few that make me want to do each of the above...........
Thanks for the help on the shortcut, guys.........

yes, I do agree that some people shouldnt be allowed to install programs...
I dont have it where I have to log in with my pass and stuff. But, A long time ago I wrote a thing that takes a screen shot to the desktop (right when turned on) and puts it as the background. Then it kills explorer.exe
for you guys taht don tknow what that is, its the desktop.
go to task manager>processes>explorer>end task.
Then when your desktop kills you cant do anything, that is, if your a novice and dont know keyboard shortcuts
ex. alt+tab = change windws if you have more than one open
win logo + e = my ocmputer
win logo + r = run (and you can do pretty much anything with run)

so yeah, when Im gone, no one gets on my computer :D

Brian_Fenner said:
Why I want to log off?

Here's a few reasons........

1. More RAM availalbe for other users when they log on
2. If another user restarts the PC for some reason you don't risk losing any data
3. Certain programs don't operate properly if they are still open under another logged in user.
4. AV programs run much slower and bog down the PC as they are monitoring open programs under other users.
5. Why not? It takes maybe a whole 5 seconds to log off. :cool:

Why multiple accounts at home?

1. Email client programs like Outlook can be set up for each user with your own address book, calenders, tasks, etc
2. Music programs like iTunes allows a seperate user and music library for each logged in user.
3. IE allows for completely different settings, favorites, etc.
4. The "look & feel" can be user configurable for your own tastes - screen savers, wallpaper, tool bars, etc.
5. Allow various permissions per account........admin, user, powert user, etc. (some people shouldn't be installing programs!)

There are plenty more reasons but these are just a few that make me want to do each of the above...........
Thanks for the help on the shortcut, guys.........

yeah i can see y u would do that

the only reason i dont is because im the only one that uses my computer

jamieoliver22 said:
Make a shortcut to:
"Shutdown.exe -L" ( I think that should work )

If that doesnt work, try the full address, and make a shotcut to:
"%windir%\system32\Shutdown.exe -L"

Jamie.

I have used your above suggestion for over 2 1/2 months and it's awesome..........Thanks!

Would you know of a similar shortcut for just switching users? This would be very helpful also!

Brian_Fenner said:
Would you know of a similar shortcut for just switching users? This would be very helpful also!

Bump...........

Little help with the above additional request? Thanks.

Just found it myself..............

Make a shortcut with the following command line:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Just make sure that fast user switching is enabled in Control Panel>User Accounts.

Works awesome!

Back
Top Bottom