Sharing Printers.

Steemax

Daemon Poster
Sup fellas, ok I have a Desktop computer and a Laptop.. the Desktop is connected directly while the laptop is connected wirelessly. Next I have one printer (HP photosmart 1215) connected to my desktop PC.. Is there anyway to create say.. a network so the laptop can print from the printer that is hooked to my desktop through just the network?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

yes. assuming you are using windows xp, go to start > control panel > network setup wizard > next > next > next > whatever you want > workgroup will be called NETWORK > enable printer and file sharing

do this on both computers, make sure you put different computer names, but make the workgroup on both the computers NETWORK

Yes, absolutely. Before you do anything involving the printer, you must "setup a home or office network" by doing that in My Network Places. Follow the wizard all the way through and click on finish at the end. Then install the printer (Print folder and click on File/Add Printer on the computer that doesn't have the printer installed yet) but you will use the Network Printer option instead of just installing the print drivers off of the CD. It will copy the files over to your other computer via network and print sharing is enabled on both PCs.

Its worth mentioning that if the computer that the printer is connected to is turned off, then ya wont be to print. The way around this is to get a print server

Back
Top Bottom