sharing internet on a network!?!

sunts

Baseband Member
hey guys and gals.

ive just networked 2 pc's successfully thanks to your help. i can share and access the folders on each computer, exciting! but how do i get the internet up and running on the computer its networked to? the main computer in win XP thats running cable internet, but the other computer is win 98, and i cant seem to find the settings or what ever it is that has to be adjusted to connect through the router for accessing the internet from the computer with winXP.

some windows say "proxy settings." does it have anything to do with that???

thanks

Not sure how you have the network setup but if you have a hub/switch/router simply plug the win98 machine in and give it an IP address and also i think you have to setup DNS and WINS .

If it is sharing via your Win XP machine you will need to setup internet sharing. That can be done via MyNetworkPlaces--->Properties--->TCP/IP---> Properties and there should be a sharing tab.

Hope that helped a little bit.

their connected via DI-514 wireless router.

i have enabled folder sharing from one computer to another...i just dont know what settings and where they are to allow cable internet sharing.

ISP --> Cable modem --> Router
One cable to the XP machine
One cable to the 98 machine

Run the internet setup wizard on the 98 machine.
After you run the wizard then the 98 maching should have an internet connection..

Are you trieng to do it wirlessly? Or is this not wireless. Either way if you have a wireless or non wireless connection just go through the wizard that comes with windows. And you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom