Sharing DSL, via a Switch. Help needed!

smith1

Beta member
Hi guys, im in need of some help and I wonder if you could clear a few things up with me. Thanks very much for your help.

Im soon to be getting DSL. It will be connected to my computer via Ethernet. I currently have a switch and 3 computers running on my home network.

Now I know instead of plugging my DSL ethernet connection into the NIC on my computer and using ICS to share it. I could put it straight into the uplink port on my switch. If I did that would I be able to share it around my three computers, and say surf at the same time? Or isnt it as simple as that.

Obviously this is providing I use proper security, like firewalls..etc. All of which im happy to setup.

Thanks every so much in advance for your time.

Also not sure if this throws a spanner in the works but its a dynamic IP address il be getting.

Heck, id avoid all the confusin and buy a wireless router. :p

OK...answer #1.

You cannot hook up a DSL line directly to your switch and share the internet.

OK...answer #2.

Hooking the DSL line directly to your computer and using it as a server for the other computers = hard to setup. It requires some additional software and I can't which software that is, because te way I have every successfully got that to work is use Windows Server Software.

Has anyone else had success at do this without the use of Server software?

OK...answer #3...the one you want.

Buy a router. They are cheap, effective and VERY easy to setup for all three computer to use the same internet connection.

I recommend a wireless router with a built in switch. Like...

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Linksys...:14489115,date:20040616,srch:kw,x:1,test:P038

But if the computers are that close then a non-wireless router will do. Cost for either is about $60.

Don't get just a router, because you will only regret it later. It takes up space, extra cables and power outlets, as well as, extra power.

What im actually referring to is wireless satellite broadband. Normally they provide a connection by a Ethernet cable that comes into your house and into a NIC.

However people have shared it by instead plugging it into a Switch or Hub, so each other computer on that switch has a direct link to the ethernet cable which leads to a node on the outside of the house, and onto a satellite in our community. WI-FI.

Satellite internet?

Stay away from my game server. Those things (satellite internet) have the worst pings. It is good for surfing the 'net and downloading just not very good at all for online gaming.

If it is for gaming...please re-think. If you don't believe me, ask the satellite company (usually tech service) and they will tell you that satellite is not for gaming.

When i couldnt get broadband were i used to live i was thinking of that. But appart from the £100 setup and the dish and that. I found out not only was it like 256k download it was limited to 2Gb traffic as well. and it was like £50 a month. JEEZ! lol.

See if they offer iDSL...it is a slower download speed usuall 144 or 256, but the pings are incredible and the distance to the phone switch is pretty far.

That's what I went with when I lived in the country and learned about the bad pings from satellite.

Back
Top Bottom